Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow tips too close to my bumper.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Magnaflow tips too close to my bumper.

I just got done installing my Magnaflow catback and it seems that the tips are too close to the bumper. With everything loose, I tried to adjust it so that they weren't so close. The rubber mounts that hold the tips seem like they're not long enough. I was thinking that I should get some longer mounts but I don't want the tips to be hanging too low or at a funny angle. Perhaps I should utilize some spacers and longer bolts on the hangers (stock AND the ones that came with the catback) that bolt to the frame? Did you guys have any issues with the tips being too close to the bumper? Anyone have any sort of bumper melting?

Other than this minor issue, I'm happy with the quality of the kit. It was packaged nicely and it fit together nicely for a multiple piece catback. I also found out that my old exhaust had a flowmaster muffler. Ever since I bought the car, it seemed louder than a stock LS1...I thought it was because the muffler baffling just rotted out. The more I delve into this car the more I find out what other people have done to it.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:08 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

How close are they? got any pics? Mine were pretty damn close to the bumber as well - after screwing around with it for an hour or so I got it to where I thought it was perfect.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:22 PM
Launching!

I'll be out of town for a couple of days but when I get back I'll post up some pics. With everything loose and the hangers all hooked up, I tried to get the tips far enough from bumper by pulling down on them. The hangers were keeping them from moving any. Right now I've got about 1/4" clearance on the driver's side tip and about 1/2" clearance on the passenger side tip.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My Magnaflow tips are 1.25" from the bottom of my bumper to the top of the tips on both sides. Which is exactly how they should be. You sure that you've got the hangers turned the right way? If you could post up some pics it might help.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine sit about an inch below my bumper. I like the way they tuck up close to it.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:16 AM
Launching!

When I get back home I'll be sure to post up some pics of the rear section. Hopefully it's just something I rigged up wrong like CRL 01 SS mentioned.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:10 AM
Launching!

Okay, finally made it home and got some pics. Do you guys see anything wrong with my install that would cause the tips to be too close to the bumper?

Passenger Side

A couple of shots of the tips in relation to the bumper.

I was thinking that I could put some spacers between those black brackets and the frame to lower the tips a bit. As it sits, I can't even slide my girly like fingers between the tips and the bumper without resistance.

Last edited by waveoff; 06-24-2006 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You have all of the hangers turned the right way. That's strange how close the tips are to the bumper though. Like you said, I'd put some spacers between the black brackets and the frame. That should fix the problem.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:29 AM
TECH Resident

Mine sit even closer than that and they are turned that same direction. My catback sits ON the upper panhard and bangs like a sumbitch, so I am gonna take it to an exhaust shop Saturday and get them to install some longer/better hangers.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:55 AM
Teching In

waveoff and troubledwine3

if you loosen all clamps and turn the angle of the muffler you will be able to clear up alot of the clearance issues. use a jack to jack up the muffler a little to where the i-pipe clears the panhard bar and then tighten the clamp that goes into the muffler. then tighten the clamps exiting the muffler. the bracket behind the rear tire should be mounted and tightened first while all clamps are loose. If you play with it a little and spend some time on it you should be able to line it up without taking it to a muffler shop.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow tips too close to my bumper.