Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about the Weiand intake...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about the Weiand intake...

I read that the stock rails/lines have to be modified to run this intake, is this true? I read it in a few threads here after I searched.

So, is it true? I need to know because I might be purchasing one.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe you can use most the stock stuff.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I got confirmation on that, thanks!

Now I have to decide if it's worth the $$
Old 03-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Banned

So...In conclusion,is worth the $$ ???
Or the LS6 is better?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

ive herd probs w/ it geting hot.
you can get a brand new ls6 im w/ the cross over and plugs for 400
Old 03-29-2006, 12:35 AM
Banned

Heat soak is b.s

The volume of air is so great that the air really doesn't have much time to collect heat. On a 500 hp motor you *might* lose 3 hp.

I've got the polished version and the price has been dropped from $8xx to $5xx. All the factory stuff bolts up perfectly. Plus I felt a little boost in low rpm torque and same performance up top after replacing my LS6 intake for the Weiand. You will have to make a blockoff plate for the egr if you have an '01-'02 car. Mine is made of 1/8" aluminum and one bolt hole for the hold down. It took me 1 hour to make the plate from scrap metal using a Dremel cut-off wheel and then I polished it to match. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Here's some photos of my intake and a closeup showing the egr blockoff:

Old 03-29-2006, 01:47 AM
12 Second Club

just finish installing one today on my 98 ls1 camaro, and it doesnt build heat up that much, i mean, i remember my stock manifold being just as hot as my new weiand intake manifold. i can feel the car pull harder as well. many ppl talk bad about this intake, but if you ask someone who ACTUALLY has one, you will always hear good things about them. heat soak is not a problem here with me
Old 03-29-2006, 04:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by casado
So...In conclusion,is worth the $$ ???
Or the LS6 is better?
From what I've read it performs similar to an LS1 style intake manifold, sure you can port it (but how many people do?). I think it was desinged for 'looks' and for boost (although the LS1/6 intakes have always proven very good with FI).

IMO the LS6 is the best for $/hp. But suprisingly it only really outperforms the LS1 at high rpms (~5000+rpm) so if you don't drive the car hard you may see little real world gain with any of the alternative intakes.

The Fast 90/90 setup always appears appealing but for me it's just too expensive. The route I'd go is TPIS, they offer an oval 90mm TB and a modified LS6 intake manifold with a 90mm opening. In tests this performs very similar to a FAST 90/90 setup but for less money.

Either that or say sod it and save for a turbo.

A stock motor with only a catback, tune and a turbo (TTI, GMR) should easily see 400-480rwhp on a Mustang dyno.

So there would be no need spending money on headers, Y pipe, pulleys, lid, intake manfold, TB, filters, cam, heads.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
From what I've read it performs similar to an LS1 style intake manifold, sure you can port it (but how many people do?). I think it was desinged for 'looks' and for boost (although the LS1/6 intakes have always proven very good with FI).

Not sure where you're reading your info at but it's comparable to the LS6 intake.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Frosty
Not sure where you're reading your info at but it's comparable to the LS6 intake.
Not according to this test: http://www.tpis.com/plog/index.php?o...Id=14&blogId=1

And I've seen similar things before also.

Have you got any info showing it matching an LS6 intake?
Old 03-29-2006, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Not according to this test: http://www.tpis.com/plog/index.php?o...Id=14&blogId=1

And I've seen similar things before also.

Have you got any info showing it matching an LS6 intake?

I'm talking power gains. As far as my "info", look at dyno numbers from people on here...look what people said that actually OWN the intake...not far off the LS6 #'s. I never said it "matched" the LS6...I said it was COMPARABLE. Plus you're going to trust an article by a company that has it's own product in there?

Also they compared the intake to a "modified" LS6 intake.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:02 AM
TECH Addict

Can I ask why are you getting all defensive and difficult have I insulted you or slept with your sister or something??

No, seriuosly you asked "is it worth the $$$"

I replied that apart from looks I don't think it is and I also supplied links to a test carried out by a magazine not a manufacturer.

You don't have to beleive them, but hay don't shoot the messenger. As for people who actually own them, well I've never made a study but I can say I've never seen anyone claiming they make more power using them when I have seen on more than one occasion people saying they noticed no gain over a LS1 intake and after they swapped to a LS6 from the Weiand they did pick up power.

Take it for what it's worth - information.

The choice is yours to make and quite frankly doesn't affect me at all because I will evidently not be driving your car around will I. So what gain would I achieve by getting you to purchase either setup.

Oh BTW - if that test was so biased why where 80%+ of the products tested NOT from TPIS and how come their setup didn't beat the likes of the Fast setup if it was such a one sided comparison?
Old 03-30-2006, 06:08 AM
12 Second Club

I'm not getting defensive at all but you're spouting this info like you have first hand knowledge when you don't.

You show me where someone swapped a Weiand intake and DIDN'T make more power than the LS1 intake. The fact is there is no one out there unless the unplugged one of their spark plug wires.

Last edited by Frosty; 03-30-2006 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Frosty
I'm not getting defensive at all but you're spouting this info like you have first hand knowledge when you don't.

You show me where someone swapped a Weiand intake and DIDN'T make more power than the LS1 intake. The fact is there is no one out there unless the unplugged one of their spark plug wires.
There have been several threads over the past 12 months comparing the Weiand intake, as I'm personally not particulary interested in it I have not noted down which threads.

I'm sure you can find them if you're interested, although SEARCH is not working at it's best so it does make it difficult.

But like I said it makes no odds to me what setup you go for, I was just providing info (plus a link) to allow you and others to make up their own mind. I have no interest or time in researching and searching this forum just to prove this point but the info is out there if you want to look yourself.

However if you do go for the Weiand I would be very interested in your results with SOTP & track, as I am constantly looking for new info and comprisons as this is how we gain knowledge and learn.

So please keep us posted with what you do (and pics )

Where you thinking of getting the polished variant?
Old 03-30-2006, 06:40 AM
12 Second Club

Nah, not going for the polished. I don't need the flashy look lol.

I'm not sure when I'm getting it, I might hold off for a little, I might go another route(not intake wise, just mod wise).
Old 03-30-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you are looking for bling, stick with a LS6.