Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metco Breather question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 02:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metco Breather question

Hey guys, just bought a Matco Beather, part number 103032 for my 99 SS. My question is, it obviously doesnt fit with my strut tower brace, is there a way to modify it? i put it in, but it pushed on the STB pretty bad.. it wont cause a problem, but it doesnt look that great. Can the peice of the filler tube be removed and the breather put directly there? Or.. what do i gotta do? Thanks!
Old 06-30-2002, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Metco Breather question

TTT interested as well. I thought I heard that you remove the factory filler to install the breather.
Old 06-30-2002, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Default Re: Metco Breather question

https://ls1tech.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ulti...;f=24;t=001811
Old 05-02-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

TTT from awhile ago.... i need the answer to this as well. do you remove the actual filler neck and plug the metco directly into the Valve cover? This seems like it would be the only option for us with a STB in place. pics, suggestions etc welcome

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
TTT interested as well. I thought I heard that you remove the factory filler to install the breather.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

You DO remove the plastic factory filler tube when installing the matco breather tube. In theory you are supposed to be able to turn the plastic fatory tube to lossen it, mine broke before it came out, so I had to take the valve cover off and clean the pieces out, so be careful and save yourself some work.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Ideally, remove valve cover, remove oil filler and install the breather.
IMO install a catch cah and keep the pcv system or (More expensive and labor) run an LS6 valley PCV.
The motor not only vents through the breather but also sucks in fresh air wich can cause some tuning issues, like spurting, hickups and other symptoms.
Also by running only one breather you are venting one side of the motor so if you do you should run one on each side.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

got it on the install suggestions.... are you saying that the breather over the oil filler only (pass side) could potentially be bad if you do not configure one for the driver's side valve cover as well?

end result: should I do a metco breather or not?

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Ideally, remove valve cover, remove oil filler and install the breather.
IMO install a catch cah and keep the pcv system or (More expensive and labor) run an LS6 valley PCV.
The motor not only vents through the breather but also sucks in fresh air wich can cause some tuning issues, like spurting, hickups and other symptoms.
Also by running only one breather you are venting one side of the motor so if you do you should run one on each side.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm saying that unless you spend all your time at the track, it is better to get a catch can and keep the PCV system. It works fine for the street.
Also there is the oil soak and dripping factor not as much on the pass. side, but at the back on the driver side.
I would prefer a one way membrane baffled breather that lets pressure out and cannot suck fresh air in. (Kinda like the old MOPAR ones)
Old 05-02-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

good info...

am about to put in the AMW catch can and am not a track junkie (yet), so will pass on the metco breather

again, thanks for the info

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
I'm saying that unless you spend all your time at the track, it is better to get a catch can and keep the PCV system. It works fine for the street.
Also there is the oil soak and dripping factor not as much on the pass. side, but at the back on the driver side.
I would prefer a one way membrane baffled breather that lets pressure out and cannot suck fresh air in. (Kinda like the old MOPAR ones)
Old 05-02-2004, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

It fit fine underneath mine. Get a pair of channel locks and twist that neck off.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice FRC's man.Gotta get me a set of those.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

I did a custom set-up for my 30th TA and a friend's 2000 TA as we both have BMR STB's. I only used the machined part of the actual Metco breather - then used a piece of radiator hosing that had an elbow in it and was a larger diameter on one side of the elbow to fit into the Metco piece and a smaller diameter on the other end to fit one of those smaller "ricer type" filters you see in all the part stores like Auto Zone that are available in different colors. It all worked out great! You can email me at pcwarncke@hotmail.com if you want to see a pic. Oh, and I have a PCV catch can in place as well. Good luck!

Last edited by 1999Daytona500PaceCar; 05-02-2004 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont have a stb so I just screwed mine right on the filler neck. Last week I installed my AMW catch can and a metco breather. The only issue I had is that in 9 passes at the track I burned ZERO oil as opposed to about half a quart I would normally have burned! I peeked in my catch can after my first 4-5 passes and had no visible oil. I'm convinced the lack of oil consumption is due to the metco. The catch can certainly wouldnt have affected consumption. Just my observation.