Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD sparkplug wire issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MSD sparkplug wire issue

For those considering purchasing wires, I thought I'd pass this on.

About two years ago I replaced my stock wires with MSD wires. At the time the car had about 10K miles on it. Today it's at 21K. Over the past 2 months I've noticed the car randoming misses. I noticed one wire arcing at the coil. It was inserted on the coil completely, yet it still was arcing. I replaced it with a stock wire. I noticed the MSD wire was seriously corroded. All was fine until a couple of weeks later when another wire went out. Yesterday I replaced all the wires with GM Perf. parts wires.

Here's a pic of one of the wires.

http://www.camaroracing.com/msdwire.jpg

Kevin
Old 07-01-2002, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: MSD sparkplug wire issue

That sucks. I've had them on my car for about 18,000 miles. Changed plugs about 4,000 miles ago and didn't notice any corrosion. Didn't look real close either... Guess I'll go pull one to see.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

I didn't use any electric grease. It's possible that could be the problem. I'll add some to my current wires as a precaution. I did call MSD. All they said is they have no known issues and that they're only warranty wires one year from purchase.

Kevin
Old 07-02-2002, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

mine are doing great as well.. did you use dielectric grease on the connections? i always do.

i would talk to msd about this.. they have a warranty on those wires.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Its been about 2 years when I put MSD's on and had issues. I remember there being others with problems also (posts at LS1.com) I had 6 wires go bad in the span of 6 months. I had corrosion and open resistance on them. MSD had good customer service though and sent me out new ones no charge. I always check the resistance and connectors on every spark plug change now. Since then I have not had any more issues but I always check.