Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homemade Camaro Ram Air Pics...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, there is a vid of one of these "sux2bu" intakes on the site;

http://video.ls1tech.com/hottestvide...3A5620D530.htm

Check it out. If seeing these didn't make you want one, maybe hearing it will make you want one.

Ben T.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by FastZ
Ok the results are in...Previous best was 12.77 at 110.25mph with a 2.0 60'. Ran 4 times and my new best is 12.67 at 110.25 with a 1.93 60'. DA was very similar to the last best pass. Car weighs 3450 with me in it.
There are a lot of factors that could have affected the launch. The mph may be a better indicator of performance gains, but you're saying it showed ZERO at the track? This makes me think it's not worth compromising the front of my car.

Hopefully mileage increased.

Ben T.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Studytime
Guys, there is a vid of one of these "sux2bu" intakes on the site;

http://video.ls1tech.com/hottestvide...3A5620D530.htm

Check it out. If seeing these didn't make you want one, maybe hearing it will make you want one.

Ben T.
Yup! The sucking sound is awesome. I can hear it when I'm in front of my car!
Old 03-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Studytime
There are a lot of factors that could have affected the launch. The mph may be a better indicator of performance gains, but you're saying it showed ZERO at the track? This makes me think it's not worth compromising the front of my car.

Hopefully mileage increased.

Ben T.
Correct...I am not only saying that my mph didn't increase...it was the exact same as before. 110.25 vs 110.25. I also unhooked the ram air and ran the exact same.

Now there are also a few factors that I can't monitor cause I don't have my tuning software. So I need to rule those out before I can really say whether it helped me or not.

Also, If it turns out to not be worth anything in the 1/4mile(which I doubt), it will still help me get my IAT's down in the staging lanes.

Gas mileage I will not be able to test in a reasonable time period. This car does not get driven very much.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Recently purchased tuning software and have been studying IAT's in traffic in the atlanta heat. This ram air system greatly reduces IAT's in traffic or a staging lane setting. The IAT's don't increase at all while sitting still and stay at ambient. This alone has made the mod worth it. Have also seen a slight increase in gas mileage. Also had to slightly increase PE at peak torque due to picking up 1 degree of knock.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No offense, but I just don't see the point here. Guys are running 10's N/A with a lid
and filter. "Ram air" is pretty much a joke unless you're talking forced induction.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:51 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it, I think it's pretty inventive and wouldn't mind trying something myself. The only thing I'd get hung up on is the dryer hose lol. Might try to find something a little more pleasing to the eye.

Edit - Just noticed you had used drain pipe, that looks a little better than the metal stuff, probably helps with the temps a slight bit as well.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

No offense taken at all. I agree that ram air is a myth but I did this mod mainly to reduce IAT's at extended idle. I had done the FRA mod and it was letting extemely hot air in traffic and the staging lanes. My IAT's were hitting 150 degrees and weren't coming back down very quickly when I would start driving again. Now they are staying at ambient instead of becoming astronomical.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:52 PM
12 Second Club

Do you think driving in the rain would be an issue
Old 03-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

so far it hasn't been. I don't drive it in the rain often but when I did I checked the filter and it wasn't wet from what I could tell. I woul definitely run an oil type filter just to be safe.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah thats the only thing stopping me from doing it, cause i have to drive in some pretty hard downpours sometimes, and i have a paper filter.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Would like to give mad props to those of you who have taken time to fab these mods they look great. I am thinking of doing this to my own car (02 ss) mostly to help keep the egine bay cooled down a little more. I have a K & N intake so was wondering if it would help at all with that intake as far as performance?myguess would be next to know performance but in the Atlanta summer anything to help my black car cool down under the hood would help what do yall thinkP.S. the K and N is a FIPK.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

I am not familiar with where the K&N intake pulls air from but if it is inside the engine compartment, then your IAT's at idle in Atlanta heat and traffic would be through the roof and take awhile to come down. Computer pulls timing and performance suffers until IAT's come down. This mod pulls air from in front of the car and at idle IAT's resemble ambient. Thus no performance loss unless ambient is somewhere around 120. So you may gain performance due to no loss of timing. Don't know...would have to log to find out.

But it looks cool and the sucking sound is awesome.

Quick Reply: Homemade Camaro Ram Air Pics...