Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What brand power steering fluid in LS1?

Old 03-29-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What brand power steering fluid in LS1?

Hey guys, my power steering fluid is low on my 2002 WS6. What brand of power steering fluid should I use for the LS1 and how much is supposed to be in there? Sorry, I would look in the manual, but I didn't get an owners manual when I bought the car. So if anybody can help me, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

PS-I'm having a whining noise coming from the engine area, and its most noticeable when I turn the wheels. Could this be because of low fluid? Thanks!
Old 03-29-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally use Castrol PS fluid, but brand doesn't matter much, just don't get the "Osco" brand or something generic like that.

The sound you described is indeed because of low PS fluid.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Power steering fluid should pretty much be the same between brands. FYI my friend had a leak in the front seal of his power steering pump. He took it to the dealer ship because it was still under warrenty and they replaced the whole pump. The weird thing was the leak was extremly slow. Just make sure you are leaking power steering fluid. Hope you get it fixed.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

I use Redline in my vehicles. I have been using this stuff for years and know I don't have to worry about it.

Most people don't like paying for Redline in which case I give them Valvoline.Probably not as good under extreme conditions but most people won't see extreme conditions much anyway.

Low PS fluid will nuke your pump and cause noise.Especially when you move near full lock on the wheel.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
I use Redline in my vehicles. I have been using this stuff for years and know I don't have to worry about it.

Most people don't like paying for Redline in which case I give them Valvoline.Probably not as good under extreme conditions but most people won't see extreme conditions much anyway.

Low PS fluid will nuke your pump and cause noise.Especially when you move near full lock on the wheel.
I'm doing an ls swap into my 67 nova. I'm running a '99 ls1 in the car and a mustang rack that came with my tci front clip. I was told to run regular ps fluid so I picked up some valvoline. My issue is, the rack and the pump appear to have a little bit of red fluid already in them (new from the factory) and the valvoline I got was clear. Are there any issues with this or did I get the wrong kind?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What brand power steering fluid in LS1?