Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 06:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oange ss
Mark Shaner knows what he's doin, if he dont offer a half shaft mod then there's probably a reason
probably because its a waste of time, an doesnt always look great
Old 04-03-2006, 07:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently put a Shaner S3 on and can feel a definite differance. Better throttle response and more snap as well. Call Mark with any questions you have. He doesn't mind answering questions and is a nice guy as well. The money I spent on the TB might have been the best money spent on the the car thus far. Shaner's website is S2 Performance.com.

Mark
Old 04-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

I'll be ordering soon. Should I go with the S2 or S3?

I just noticed there is a billet one coming out this month. I may wait a little bit.

And there is this option I see for the TBs.
(option - the front of the shaft can be removed if you prefer.)
Old 04-03-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by camaroextra
nope, def better throttle response down low. the lib gets in the way of the blade during its first 5 or 10 degrees of turning, porting it gets rid of that lip so the first 5 or 10 degrees of throttle have a lot better ait flow. it helps top end also but its noticible at the bottom
i think it all depends on your setup, cause it doesnt always work like that.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1charged
i think it all depends on your setup, cause it doesnt always work like that.
im not sure i follow you. that lip will block the most airflow at a smaller angle on any set up
Old 04-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dom
So who does the half blade mod? Why don't they do it? I want to get a ported TB and the two recommended places don't do that mod. Seems kinda weird.
I can't say for sure but I'll assume that the shaft mod is left out for the same reason I decided against it, removing it deletes 1/2 of the threads increasing the chance of the screw backing out and tumbling into the engine. Sure you can use loctite and the chances may be slim but for me the gains aren't worth the risk.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

im not sure i follow you. that lip will block the most airflow at a smaller angle on any set up
well.... my mechanic has a camaro and he put a bigger throttle body on his car and the car went slower. i guess im confused.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

I ported my own throttle body, using the thread in the forum. Its really easy to do, and it is definitely worth the time doing it. Plus it looks alot better once you polish it. Adds just a little more bling to your engine bay lol. I got 10 rwhp off of it to. I was the best hour I think that i have spent working on my car.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheDogofWar
I can't say for sure but I'll assume that the shaft mod is left out for the same reason I decided against it, removing it deletes 1/2 of the threads increasing the chance of the screw backing out and tumbling into the engine. Sure you can use loctite and the chances may be slim but for me the gains aren't worth the risk.
I'm pretty sure that the front half isn't threaded.

Anyhow, I really wonder if it's worth it. It seems that a lot of porting folks do it, theres a place that sells Ported TB's on ebay and not only do they have the half-shaft mod but they also has a thinner brass throttle blade too.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

well.... my mechanic has a camaro and he put a bigger throttle body on his car and the car went slower. i guess im confused.
well i wouldnt recomend taking you car to him anymore
Old 04-03-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

Check out Thunder Racing's ported throttle body. It is CNC ported, the throttle blade is knife edged, the shaft is milled on both sides, and the throttle stop is adjusted for max airflow. Best throttle body out there IMO.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i wouldnt recomend taking you car to him anymore
NO! beleive me he is very good, and it was on his race car, if that makes any difference. he runs high 10's in it.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

NO! beleive me he is very good, and it was on his race car, if that makes any difference. he runs high 10's in it.
im kidding im sure he knows what hes doing. weither it works on race cars or not im not sure, but on a street car (or any car running a stock ls1 or ls6 manifold) it should show sotp improvement
Old 04-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Teching In

I am very happy with my ported TB from New Era Mike Does a great job and has excellant turn around time not to mention great customer service.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Launching!

I'm actually with your mechanic on this one, it's all about velocity and low RPM throttle response. However before I get flamed for saying it, I do still believe that it is a worthwhile mod because it's only a factor at launch, after that your RPM's shouldn't be low enough for it to factor in again.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree, i wasnt saying that it was all the way through the power band, just at low rpm's or low end.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdaniels
I'm pretty sure that the front half isn't threaded.
Your correct, only the back half is, halfing the shaft is a really easy way to increase the total flow area. Generally you can half the shaft while its in the throttle body. If its really worth it not sure, but its generally so easy to do that i usually just do it.

Also i've ported a few before and i've always noticed a great increase down low and a much better throttle response in every vehicle (car or truck).
Old 04-05-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i ported and polished my own TB, I also did the bumpstop mod which is a freebie mod I highly suggest.

To port the throttle body, i just used a dremel and fine sand paper. Its actually really easy just takes a little time..
Old 04-05-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

I have ported 1 or 2 myself and Ive always done the throttle stop mod and half shaft- except on only one TB I didnt do the stop mod because he wanted to look stock. Never an issue. Even Cablebandit is runnin one of mine and he's twin turbo so dont sweat about it weakening anything
Old 04-06-2006, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

i agree, i wasnt saying that it was all the way through the power band, just at low rpm's or low end.
it takes 2 thinkgs to make power.. air and fuel.. never ever ever ever ever is bringing in more air going to hurt something.. you have to remember up untill about a month and a half ago rick never had anyway to tune his car.. we do now.. and i'm challenging him to put a bigger TB on it