Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Port & Polish TB/MAF Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Port & Polish TB/MAF Question

I would like to port/polish my throttle body and polish my MAF but I am concerned with running too learn. I don't have atap or ls1edit so I have no way to determine my A/F ratio. Will this lean me out too much?
Old 08-19-2002, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Port & Polish TB/MAF Question

Fully port and polish your throttle body but go real conservative with the MAF. 2000s seem to not like to run leaner than .900 like the 98-99 LS1s do. Its better to be on the safe side in this situation. Another option is just to get MAF ends and be able to switch back and forth just in case it leans out your car too much.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:32 PM
Administrator

But how would I know that I'm too lean since I don't have any diagnostic software. Maybe I'll just port and polish the throttle body and leave the MAF alone.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by camaro_ls1:
<strong>But how would I know that I'm too lean since I don't have any diagnostic software. Maybe I'll just port and polish the throttle body and leave the MAF alone.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You wont know if you are running lean unless you are running too lean and get audible pinging, but on the other hand 2000s run rich in stock tune and respond very well to even light porting of the stock MAF. I would suggest removing the fins from the MAF and doing a minimal port and polish job.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:26 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I wouldn't generalize and say 2000s run rich. If O2s @ WOT are any indication, mine have usually averaged in the .88x - .891 range w/stock MAF. I've decided to leave my MAF stock.
It's better to have a diagnostic tool before you start making changes, IMO.

<small>[ August 20, 2002, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: gwj ]</small>
Old 08-20-2002, 01:59 PM
Administrator

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by gwj:
<strong>
It's better to have a diagnostic tool before you start making changes, IMO.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's what I'm thinking as well. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2002, 03:15 AM
TECH Resident

I gutted/Ported my MAF. It started to through lean codes. Nothing a MAFT won't fix. I ended up going with the SLP 85mm MAF
Old 08-21-2002, 10:46 AM
Administrator

What if I just polish the MAF and the throttle body? Will that lean it out too much?
Old 08-21-2002, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by camaro_ls1:
<strong>What if I just polish the MAF and the throttle body? Will that lean it out too much?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Like I said before, go light on the MAF (polishing is fine) but do anything you want to the throttlebody as that will not affect your A/F ratio.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:39 AM
Administrator

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Fenris Ulf:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by camaro_ls1:
<strong>What if I just polish the MAF and the throttle body? Will that lean it out too much?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Like I said before, go light on the MAF (polishing is fine) but do anything you want to the throttlebody as that will not affect your A/F ratio.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh ya, I never thought about that. The throttle body doesn't have anything to do with a/f ratios. That makes sense. Thanks again for your help.