Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i need some input on alot of things

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 02:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i need some input on alot of things

i got a few questions if someone could help me out,1st what would be the power output difference between some mids and some lts? because i wanna go straight duals but im just wondering on which headers to get. 2ndly ive heard about the AIR system and i was wondering what would be the pros and cons of taking it out and how hard is it to do. 3rdly ive got a auto, and i want to put in the 3.7s in the back what else would i need to put in as for axles or anything? lastly i want to put the ls6 manifold on, i know pretty much how to do but i havent done it before so how hard is it to do and what are some of the extra parts ill need?

thanks.....and ive got a 99 ta ls1
Old 04-07-2006, 02:43 AM
That's what she said...

Mid length headers will not provide nearly as much of a gain as you'd like, and you'd end up getting longtubes one day anway. I'd say throw in a set of pacesetters.

Pros of taking out the AIR system is less weight, less of a cluttered look, less noise when you crank the car up, and less **** to work around in the engine bay. It is VERY easy to do, just unbolt it from the manifolds and start pulling off everything connected to it. There's a tube crossing over behind the motor, connecting to the driverside pipe, then running down the driverside fender to behind the driverside headlight to the pump. Remove all that ****. You have to unbolt a few screws from one of the underbody plastic pannels and drop the pump out the bottom. Simply unplug it and leave the fuses.

There are pretty much NO cons to getting rid of it.

All you need for the 3.73 gear swap is the gear set and a competant installer (which is extremely important). New axles,posi and such are not needed.

For the intake manifold, all you will need is new coolant system vent tubes. If you look under the throttle body, you'll see some pipe connecting the heads, venting to the radiator and running to under the manifold. The pipe that runs to the back under the manifold connects the heads in the rear as well (looks like a big "I" under the manifold). The LS6 manifold is flat and that pipe will no longer fit. You will need coolant vent plugs (1 for each side) for the rear, and a coolant vent tube to connect the front holes with.

Here's the parts you'll need....

plugs (2) - 12570678
pipe (1) - 12581213
Old 04-07-2006, 04:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

sounds good thanks, im still under warranty sooo the manifold wont be done just yet nor the gears, but im lookin into the headers with a straight pipe set up later on to, right now ive just got a 80 series flowmaster on there 1. because it was easy to do, 2. it was cheap cause i didnt have the funds to do the whole system yet and 3. it honestly doesnt sound half bad even though it prolly doesnt give me any power...o well for right now... and yea that air system does need to go.
i just thought about something else to on most head sets do they come with the rockers and the valve springs? or is that usually stuff u gotta get added on, and what good set of heads are proven ALONG with a good cam match?
Old 04-07-2006, 05:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Cam & heads is whole nother thread. There's lots of choice and money and goals will determine what works and what doesn't.

IMO if you can go long tubes get them, they are the better bet for an OHV push rod V8.

I'd probably not worry about gears too much, 3.73's will really hamper top end speed. Get a torque converter it will make the world of difference (Fuddle or Yank 3400 or higher - cam dependant). Also with more power you'll run the risk of breaking your 10 bolt rear axle and then you'll upgrade to something better which will mean your gears would have been a waste of money.

The AIR system doesn't cost any HP so by removing it you will only gain in less engine clutter and a small amount of weight reduction. The downside is if your car has to pass a start emissions test using a sniffer it would probably fail without AIR and CATS.