Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Water Pump Input/Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 08:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Replacement Water Pump Input/Feedback

So I was diagnosing my powersteering overpressurizing problem last Friday when the water pump let go while we were running the engine. I ended up with coolant all over under the car instead of the powersteering fluid I was expecting. DOH! So now I need a new water pump. It may just be the gasket, but since it is 7 years old, I would prefer to put a new pump on it. One less thing to worry about.

I called around town and there are a bunch of different brands out there. Are any better than others? I want to get one I won't have to worry about as this car is my DD in the warmer months. And I DO NOT want to switch to an electric pump.

Autozone: Valucraft (1yr warranty) or Duralast (lifetime warranty)

Murray's: Fenco (2 yr warranty) or Prestone (lifetime warranty)

Napa: Airtex (lifetime warranty) but no parts available. Would have to be ordered.

Mazza: ASC (1 yr warranty) or A1 Cardone (90 days warranty)

Or I can have a friend get one through GM SPO: AC Delco (no sure of warranty though).

I have had good and bad experience with lifetime warranty parts in the past so I was wondering who has replaced their waterpump and how well the parts have worked.

Are there other brands to try? I looked at Summit and JEGS but only found electric pumps. Do any sponsors make better replacement water pumps? Ported to flow better or anything? I searched but didn't find a whole lot on this subject.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited by Hugger Z; 04-07-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

usually our gm stuff is has a very good warranty like 12,000 miles and a couple years i believe.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by REDWS6ROCKET
usually our gm stuff is has a very good warranty like 12,000 miles and a couple years i believe.
I think it may carry that same 3 yr 36,000 coverage like a new car. But most dealerships will not advertise that. And if I buy it direct from GM SPO (to get it at cost), how is that warranty handled?

So does everyone still have their stock waterpump and just replace the gasket? When I searched there was a bunch of gasket replacing but not much on the water pump itself. I was hoping for some more feedback on this.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Evans cooling makes a replacement water pump that has a smaller diameter pulley and a larger vane...so it moves more volume. It is also supposed to eliminate the flow discrepancy that the stock pump experiences between cylinder banks.

I have one but have not put it on the car yet, so I can't speak to how well it does or doesn't work. I do know that Darton only recommmends the use of the Evans pump and coolant due to the reasons above.

Get ready to bend over for the $475 or so that it is going to cost, + the custom thermostat and coolant.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:30 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks Scott. I looked into the Evans pump, but that is not in the budget at the moment. Based on some local feedback, I think I am going to try to order a Napa replacement pump.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

so whatever pump is fine.... mines leaken do u think i should replace it also since im gonna be there. and how much do they cost?
Old 04-27-2006, 08:57 PM
12 Second Club

If it is leaking, that is a sign that it is on it's way out. For some reason these pumps leak before they crap out. Mine was like a deluge under the car when it went. The pumps range in price from ~$150-$180. Look for one with a lifetime warranty. That's what I got. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Replacement Water Pump Input/Feedback