Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TB Bypass??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TB Bypass??

I just did a TB bypass to my car. After I was done I was thinking...why can't I just get rid of the hoses all together? Can't I just cap off the nipples on the engine coolant line and the radiator to eliminate the hose all together? Has anyone ever done this or also thought about it? What do you guys think?
Old 04-08-2006, 11:46 AM
11 Second Club

good question, but i think they leave em attached so it circulates maybe
Old 04-08-2006, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Anyone else with any suggestions?
Old 04-08-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

They're probably necessary. GM rarely overengineers anything it doesnt have to.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Teching In

the stock TB coolant comes from the steam vent tube and then returns to the radiator. GM put thoses coolant steam vents on the engine for a reason i am sure. Capping off the nipples will not let the steam return to the radiator, and pretty much make that steam vent worthless. I just bypass the TB with a hose on mine car. If i were you i would do some reasearch on it before you cap them off.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bigchuck34
I just did a TB bypass to my car. After I was done I was thinking...why can't I just get rid of the hoses all together? Can't I just cap off the nipples on the engine coolant line and the radiator to eliminate the hose all together? Has anyone ever done this or also thought about it? What do you guys think?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ght=bleed+tube
Old 04-09-2006, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the link. I think I'll just bypass it and let it flow to be safe. sounds like everyone has their own thery on bypassing it or caping it off or leaving it alone.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did it to mine, and all i did was get a hose to run in between them runs fine, i never felt any kinda performance in it and i dont even think it did get any out of it, BUT it does make it easier to take the TB off and for me my car idles better when its hot out now...weird...
Old 04-10-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

your not going to feel 1-2hp, but then again, i am going to do it because i want ever little drop of hp i can get
Old 04-10-2006, 12:25 AM
That's what she said...

You will never get the damn air bubbles out of an LS1 car without that vent tube.

You CAN however, yank the old tubes out of the throttle body to clean it up a little bit. You just have to swist and pull like a son-of-a-bitch, but eventually they come out. I like to stick a screwdriver in them, get 'em moving around easily, then start to work them out.

I also just connected the vent tube on the motor to the radiator with one long piece of hose. I used a piece that would fit tight on the vent tube, and i just bored the inside out a little bit to fit on the radiator IIRC.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
You will never get the damn air bubbles out of an LS1 car without that vent tube.

You CAN however, yank the old tubes out of the throttle body to clean it up a little bit. You just have to swist and pull like a son-of-a-bitch, but eventually they come out. I like to stick a screwdriver in them, get 'em moving around easily, then start to work them out.

I also just connected the vent tube on the motor to the radiator with one long piece of hose. I used a piece that would fit tight on the vent tube, and i just bored the inside out a little bit to fit on the radiator IIRC.
ooo and the screw driver still took forever, thought id brake the damn hose in half...i dont like how low the hose sits next to the belt though