Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling out uncoated mac guys

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Calling out uncoated mac guys

Allright ran across a good deal on uncoated mac headers. Just want to know how them not being coated effects the engine bay. Ive heard that some peoples spark plug wires melt and there hood shows signs of paint fade, are these rumurs true?
Old 09-04-2002, 12:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Calling out uncoated mac guys

No problems have been encountered on my car. I do plan on getting them coated by JetHot when I replace the cats and collector.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:19 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ive heard that some peoples spark plug wires melt and there hood shows signs of paint fade, are these rumurs true? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The wires melting is common on LT1's, but doesn't happen with LS1's. Never heard of "hood fading"...

I have ran uncoated Macs for 2 1/2 years, no problems. You will notice an increase in underhood temps, but it's nothing to panic over. Get yourself a 160 stat and SLP fan switch and your car will run plenty cool....

Josh
Old 09-04-2002, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

I agree with Josh here, I've got no signs of melting plug wires. Only thing to look out for is the starter wires, as they hang close to your primaries. Just ziptie them out of the way before installing the headers and you'll be good to go.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am on my second LS1 with uncoated Macs and no problems.