Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple bolt-on questions...

Old 04-10-2006, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple bolt-on questions...

Okay so I am planning my first boltons for my LS1 when I get it and had a couple of questions...

1. Which intake is recommended? Or is it even worth it? If so, anybody KNOW what gains it gives? I found this one on WS-6store.com and it looks as good as any... Is this one recommended?
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...c2744b08feb4fe

2. I think I am going to say screw it and just buy an aftermarket T-body instead of porting my own. I was thinking about the BBK 80mm one... Is this a bad idea? Would it give me any higher gains than just porting my own?

3. I will probably end up getting Longtubes one day, but for now I think I might just get an O/R Y for my stock headers. Do these offer a good gain with stock headers? Or would it be a waste of money?
Old 04-10-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

The most cost efficient things you can do is buy a used LS6 intake. The going price is around $300. Then add a set of long tube headers. The going price for a set of uncoated Pacesetters or similar header should be just under $400. Any decent muffler shop should be able to bend you up a set of true duals using shorty mufflers and dump them in front of the rear axles. Total cost should be under $200. The cold air intake and the throttle body TOGETHER won't add as much horsepower as just adding the LS6 intake by itself. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:05 AM
11 Second Club

**What kind of car do you have? is it a WS6? **

A lid and a good catback are usually the first mods people start off with.

1.)**because that kit says its not recommended for ws6 models. **

I made my own ram air kit out of sheetmetal from home depot for like 20 bucks. IT WORKS

2.) buy a stock TB on this site and have a pretty well known person port & polish it and have them do the TB bumpstop mod as well, i dropped 1-2 tenths with my stock TB ported. i paid 50 bucks for stock TB with sensors on it!! and like 70 bucks to have my friend port it. And it turned out sweeettt

3.) No off road y pipe yet: save your money up for the LT's and ORY. Thats where the gains are at! I gutted my cats, it only changes sound. as far as performance you wont notice anything. save yourself the trouble.

There are free mods you can do. each of them yields a small increase in HP and TQ; But when added up, its good. IAT sensor trick, Free ram air mod, (if not a ws6), TB bypass, descreen and port MAF, !EGR!, smooth bellow-> can save yourself alotta money by getting that from intake hoses!!

With just a SLP lid, Magnaflow Catback, free mods and a spec stage 3 clutch, i ran a 12.97@ 110mph. 2.09 60' That was before i could really launch it off the line on street tires @ 24psi !
Old 04-10-2006, 01:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea the manifold is a good idea, im lookin around myself for one....pacesetters are the overall favorite JUST make sure u get them coated and theres a few things u shouldnt go after...one being a MAF the stock one works fine, and if ur gonna do the whole exhaust go ahead and just do true duals, instead of a y pipe...ull get more out of it
Old 04-10-2006, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

as far as your intake goes I used a thunder racing kit and I also portedmy throttle body because I got more of a gain than when I bought an 80 mm and you will definately see a difference in power and sound
Old 04-10-2006, 02:13 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are an A4 get a converter first.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:24 AM
On The Tree

Sorry, I should have specified. I don't have an LS1 yet but I should have one by summer. I would prefer to get a 2001+ WS6, but it depends what I can get a better deal on.

My main concern is the installation of the longtubes... There are muffler shops around here that COULD do it, but it would probably cost an arm and a leg... And I don't think I would be able to do it myself without having my car down for quite some time...
Old 04-10-2006, 04:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long tubes will help some, but the BIG POWER is in a cam and head swap.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by then00b
My main concern is the installation of the longtubes... There are muffler shops around here that COULD do it, but it would probably cost an arm and a leg... And I don't think I would be able to do it myself without having my car down for quite some time...
It's maybe a weekend project, I did a set this weekend, started Friday afternoon, with the removal of the stock stuff, put the headers in, hooked up the rest of the exhaust, and sensors on Saturday, and on Sunday I was driving it around to check for leaks and lights, that was me by myself, with jacks, stands, hand wrenches and alot of cussing (BTW get an air rachet, you'll be done in no time)
FWIW get a lid a catback and LTs with ORY, and a tune, and you'll have a decently quick LS1, then go for the heads and cam
Old 04-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Most of these guys are rite on with the mods your asking. Since you dont have the car yet i would get the 2001-2002 Ws6 over the 98-00 for a few simple reasons the 01-02 have the 28.8 injectors and they also have the LS6 intake to where the 98-00 dont have those if you get a A4 i sudjest you get a stall converter that will help you out alot also if its a M6 i would get a short throw shifter like a Pro 5.0 with the lous short stick thats aroud 200 as for the intake you need to get http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...507ce874d20a04 thats the type of intake you want as for headers it what ever floats you boat there always a debate over which set to get and for the ported TB there better thing to buy than that lol wait till a good used deal comes up
Old 04-10-2006, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

I would be getting an M6 for sure... I might be getting a Camaro with a catback and a lid already so I think if I do get it, I will just save up and get headers....

How long do you think it would take for a muffler shop to do the install?
Old 04-10-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ifyou want to win races you get an automatic........
Old 04-10-2006, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gold Z
Ifyou want to win races you get an automatic........
I am going for some fun-factor with this one... I also like to carve corners and might do some road racing.... Winning drag races isn't at the top of my list.

Search this Thread