Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What causes rasp!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya, all i have is the hooker cat back its deep but no raspy race sound,and i'd like to keep the cats cause my 5.0 is catless and it smells like a dirt bike.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bichin95redta
"it just seems to me cars with aluminum blocks have higher-pitched, racy sound while cast iron blocks have deeper, guttsier sound"

I'm no expert...I can only comment on what I've actually heard, and I have to agree with the above comment. I've owned, modded, driven, & raced both LT1 & LS1 F-Bodies. I firmly believe that the LS1 is MUCH pickier about exhaust component choices than the LT1, if you're after that rrrrrumble sound.

You could slap a system on an LT1 made out of empty creamed corn cans welded together, and it would still sound good. The selection of components for the LS1 is not only trickier, but is much more limited if you're looking for that nice, deep rumble.

There are just 2 long-tube/cat-back combinations I've heard that had that nice rumble. Both had Kooks headers, but one had a stainless Magnaflow cat-back, and the other one had a Spin-Tech. As high a quality piece as they are, to my ear, nothing sounds more "crackly" or "raspy" than a Borla on an LS1. That's my experience, anyway.
borla is probably the worst sounding catback on the market for an LS1 IMO. it really doesn't sound much better than the flowmaster on my 3.4 V6. it's actually even more raspy.

aluminum blocks are naturally harder to tune for sound because of the smaller engine load. it's all about the natural frequency of the metals as far as i understand it. iron is dense and thick. if someone hits you over the head with a piece of iron, your day is ruined. it's thick and produces a deep tone. that's why i've never heard a mustang sound bad. an LS1 is aluminum. you make soda cans out of it. if someone hits you over the head with a soda can, assuming it's empty, it may bounce off your hair and you may not feel a thing.

to my ears, more LS1's sound bad than sound good. IMO either GMMG or true duals are the only way to go. jmm98LS1 has the best LS1 i've ever heard, ever, and to me, it kinda sounds like a mustang (i'm prepared to be flamed for that comment, i'm not a big mustang fan but i think they're the best sounding cars out there). i'm sure it sounds even better in person. when i buy my LS1, if not this summer than next, i'll be sure to go that route.

by the way jmm98LS1 do you run cats on your setup? i doubt it but i live in NJ and i gotta run 'em for my emissions, they do sniffers here. that and there's something about constantly inhaling gas odor that turns me off...but damn that sounds beyond amazing. if i was a women i would slide right off this leather chair.

LS1's are hard to get to sound good, but if you hit the right area, they sure do sound amazing. they're a race motor IMO, not a muscle motor. mustangs are a muscle car to me, fat, bulky, sound great and aren't too fast. LS1's have the heart of a race car. they're not deep, they're streamlined, high pitched and slice through the air like a knife.

i just wanna scare the **** outta some old ladies in a lincoln. my car doesn't scare many people as it is now V6 woo

although it seriously does keep women in SUV's from passing me on the highway if i rev it. they seriously do back off! haha
Old 05-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JDP
LS1s cause rasp. cats and mufflers hide it

thats what i always thought
Id you think aluminum is loud, you should hear my cast iron
Old 05-06-2006, 08:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
by the way jmm98LS1 do you run cats on your setup? i doubt it but i live in NJ and i gotta run 'em for my emissions, they do sniffers here. that and there's something about constantly inhaling gas odor that turns me off...but damn that sounds beyond amazing. if i was a women i would slide right off this leather chair.
I don't have cats on my exhaust, luckily emissions law enforcement is pretty much non-existent. Thanks for the compliments! I can't take the car out without people staring and asking questions about it. I've even had a sheriff pull me over to ask what I'd done to the car!
Old 05-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
I don't have cats on my exhaust, luckily emissions law enforcement is pretty much non-existent. Thanks for the compliments! I can't take the car out without people staring and asking questions about it. I've even had a sheriff pull me over to ask what I'd done to the car!
now THAT'S hot, when a cop pulls you over just to ask you about your car. damn.

i just found a SWEET *** deal on a formula. it's got 24k miles and they want 15k for it. it's got Z06 rims, the whole SLP intake/exhaust package, and a new set of tires on it. i'm thinking about scheduling a test drive...but it's 120 miles away.

if i'm lucky enough to come out with this deal, i may have to copy your work

except with cats of course, hehe. hope it wouldn't ruin the sound.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

cats wouldnt work to well on his setup, that cam is pretty choppy and has alot of overlap 110lsa i believe, ull kill your cats real quick with anything less than 114lsa im prety sure, due to to much unburnt fuel goin out of the engine.

Quick Reply: What causes rasp!