Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help! secondary air injection removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006 | 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! secondary air injection removal

i had heard that some people were removing the secondary air system pump from their ls1's and i thought id give it a go. so i removed it and the engine did feel a little better...ok so not much. i also removed the egr, and put block off plates on all 4 holes. but anyways, it ran fine for about a month, with the ses light on. now it is starting to putt a little after the car warms up. i put the egr back on and that fixed it for a while, with no codes as well. then it started again.

so at work one of my buds looked up the "air" system on Mitchell Repair. it says

"air injection system helps reduce hydrocarbon, carbon monoxide, and oxides of nitrogen exhaust emissions by injecting air into the exhaust system. the induction of additional air promotes further oxidation (combustion) of unburned and partially burned exhaust gasses. during cold engine operation, air is injected into exhaust manifold. this quickly warms up catalytic converter and oxygen sensor. when vehicle warms up, air is diverted to atmosphere or to the catalytic converter."

blah blah blah, theres more but its just an expanation of a check valve and a pump.

ok, so now either o2 sensor 2 in bank 1 is malfunctioning, or the cat in bank 1 isnt working.

could this be why the car is stuttering?

any help?
Old 04-13-2006 | 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WRONG FORUM!! this is external engine. but since ur new, i will slighty indulge. 1st, where do you live? that can affect what your options are. a bad cat or rear 02 would not cause the car to run badly. now if the cat is clogged, it could cause an issue. you could just gut the cats and not worry about codes. make sure that it is bank 1/2 sensor 2, and not sensor 1. sensor 2 is just to check for cat performance, but sensor 1 is very important.
Old 04-13-2006 | 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

!AIR or !EGR will throw codes, shouldn't cause stuttering though. Might have something else going on; if the SES is on get the code(s) read (Autozone will do if free) and post them.

Quick Reply: help! secondary air injection removal