Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynabatt jump-start problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynabatt jump-start problem

Have anybody tried jump-starting dynabatt? I accidentally left the fan switch on yesterday, and today it's dead.
I try to jump-start first from my old battery, then from my neighbor's truck, - didn't go, tr-tr-tr-tr sound, like it wants to starts, but cannot, we gave it a few minutes, hoping it would recharge - no luck, then we disconnected jumper cable and tried to push-start it - nothing. That is, not even lights come up. So apparently the battery is 100% dead.
Article says recharging at constant voltage should be fine - ? If anybody can help me here... - I don't have no special charger, so I'm not sure what to do right now..
Old 09-17-2002, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Dynabatt jump-start problem

Sounds like it is just down bad{hopefully}. If the battery gets drained really bad, it will take a while to charge enough to start it. I made the mistake of leaving the lights on on my diesle truck{it has two batteries in parallel} ended up having to get two cars to jump me off at the same time and it still took quite a while to do.
Second, the bad news. Way back, I bought one of the first dry cell batteries{Torque Starter by Exide}. Had it in a race car that did not have a alternator for about two weeks when I left the water pump and electric fan on trying to cool it down. Well I forgot it for a while cause I got involved in a buddies car. When I got back it was dead. Figured I would just put a trickle charge on it for a few days and all would be good. Nope, nadda, didn't work. Never did charge back up. Ended up tradeing it in for a commercial battery.
Let us know if it comes back to life as I am thinking about useing one in mine.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Dynabatt jump-start problem

You cite the two reasons I stayed away from getting a Dyna-Batt. Very low reserve capacity and I was not confident in it's deep-cycle capability. I put a Reactor battery in my car. It's a little heavier than the dyna-batt, but still small and 10+ pounds less than the factory piece.
I can vouch for their toughness. Two days ago I wound up with a short in the charging cable coming off the alternator (long story, don't ask). The car sat this way for about 10 minutes before I realized what was wrong. At this point the battery was too hot to touch w/o getting burned. After letting it cool enough to get it out of the car (but still hot) it showed less than 7V across the terminals. A little while later it had pretty much cooled off completely, but still was showing only about 10v. I put a charger on it for a few hours and it was back to 12+V across the terminals. Dropped it back in the car 4-5 hours after the original problem and started the car with no problems. Expensive at $165, but I certainly think it paid for itself, I'm sure most batteries wouldn't have survived that. As another indication of the quality and toughnes of these things, the military uses batteries from this company for combat aircraft as well.