Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

when revving to 6000 rpm, my engine hesitates fro a slight second

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 04:08 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default when revving to 6000 rpm, my engine hesitates fro a slight second

With the mods listed below, when i rev my engine up past 5500, right after i pass it, the engine sort of hesitates.... this only happens when i revit suddenly...when i rev it to 6grand normally by pressing the gas down lightly, its fine, its jsut when i do it to make it rev fast, it gooos vrooooooOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM-Pah VROOOooommmm

<small>[ September 21, 2002, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: BigBlackZ28 ]</small>
Old 09-21-2002, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: when revving to 6000 rpm, my engine hesitates fro a slight second

Try putting your stock MAF sensor on. I had a similar problem w/mine and this seemed to fix it. Also, my dyno graph looked very jumpy at upper rpm's and now it is much smoother. You really need to A-Tap it to see exactly what is going on (if your running too lean, etc.).

Joel

<small>[ September 21, 2002, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: JoelSS ]</small>
Old 09-22-2002, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

Is it most noticable when in 3rd and 4th gear? Have you had it dyno'd since this has started happening? I had that problem. Start with the easy stuff first. Fuel filter, air filter, plugs, wires, coil operation, mis-fires,make sure the clamps for the MAF to T/B hoses are snug, oh and check the EGR o-ring that seals the EGR tube going into the intake. Get it on autotap or some kind of scanner and verify it is not detonating and the PCM is pulling the timing back. I had done everything listed above to no avail. The final thing was to change the valve springs. $100 for the LS6 springs, $300 labor to install and problem solved. This all started intermittantly at 6000 miles and was consistant every time I would run it through 3rd & 4th gears at 8700 miles. I guess its safe to say that when the stock springs start going they go fast. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 09-22-2002, 06:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like your bouncing off the limiter to me. being that we have slow tachs in our cars, you will hit the limiter before the tach does which is why it wont do it when you rev it slow. the tach can keep up. but when you go fast, the tach is still trying to catch up with the motor
Old 09-22-2002, 09:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ROB'S SS:
<strong>sounds like your bouncing off the limiter to me. being that we have slow tachs in our cars, you will hit the limiter before the tach does which is why it wont do it when you rev it slow. the tach can keep up. but when you go fast, the tach is still trying to catch up with the motor</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ditto. My shift light is set at 6500 and in first gear , the light comes on when the stock tach reads 5900rpms.
Old 09-23-2002, 02:43 PM
Launching!

This may sound stupid, but how much gas did you have in the car?

I experienced the same prob one day with about 1/8th of a tank, when I was pushing high rpm's, moving rather quickly, there was hesitation. Added some gas, no more hesitation.

Just a suggestion, and a very elementary one at that.
Old 09-23-2002, 03:47 PM
Launching!

I had the same problem about when my car hit 35k on the od, turned out to be bad stock plug wires....

<small>[ September 23, 2002, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: GODUCKS ]</small>
Old 09-23-2002, 07:23 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

well, the prob isnt there when im driving, in any gear.

its for sure not bouncing off he rev limiter... cus it happens at 5500 and it still revs normally to 6000. ive had it bounce off the limiter and know waht it feels/sounds like. but thanks for the suggestion. the gas was full. that was a concern also.

ill jsut go ATAP it and see whats going on. what things should i check for? Air fule ratio... how do i check if theres detnoation?
Old 09-23-2002, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

My money is on the rev limiter too. If you're free-reving the car (i.e. it's not in gear) then your tach can't keep up. Your tach is lagging and only shows 5500 RPM when you're really at ~6000-6200.

Quick Reply: when revving to 6000 rpm, my engine hesitates fro a slight second