Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is better true duals or y pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 07:54 PM
dug
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which is better true duals or y pipe?

The 2 designs I am thinking of is a 2.5" pipe true duals through ultraflow dumped out the side in front of the rear tire. With no x or h pipe with stock manifolds and cats.

The other idea is to run 2.5" pipes from the cats into a flowmaster collector 2.5" in and 3.5" out and into a 3.5" ultra flow and exits out one side in front of the rear tire.

Which would sound better and make the most hp. I am getting rid of the cat back to save weight.
Old 09-30-2002, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Which is better true duals or y pipe?

ttt
Old 10-01-2002, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i would think that with no h or x pipe, the y-pipe might be the better choice. and the size of your y-pipe should be 2.5 into 3, not 3.5
Old 10-01-2002, 03:26 PM
dug
Banned

Rob

What kind of gains in hp could I expect with the y exhaust with a stock engine? Would 20hp be reasonable? Would it sound decent?
Old 10-01-2002, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok I think that the Y pipe will make more power, here is why. If you study exhaust theory you will find that you have a positive and negative exhaust pulse. The negative pulse is a return pressure wave that travels back up the exhaust stream (exhaust pipe) and helps with scavenging. Next you have people comparing X pipe and crossovers, well I think most people miss the boat. An x pipe works so well because it allows the exhaust to use both negative exhaust pulses on both engine banks. If you were to use a Y pipe that was sized accordingly you will see at least the same amout of power as the x pipe if not more (because of the stronger negative pressure wave by only using one exhaust pipe.) The reason so many people are not satisfied with a Y pipe is because they are sized wrong. If you were to have a Y pipe exhaust that would have the same volume as a 2.5 true dual exhaust you would need 2.5 inch tubes coming from the collector in to the Y pipe and a 3.5 in your I pipe. Also I do not like crossflow mufflers, try to stay with a strait through design (Dynomax Ultraflo, Magnaflow). As a side note you can take advantage of the X pipe effect with a Y pipe and you can still us a balance tube on the end of the header collectors.
Later,
Bart

<small>[ October 01, 2002, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Speedfreaks101 ]</small>

Quick Reply: Which is better true duals or y pipe?