Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help.. need thermostat info.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help.. need thermostat info.

I am finishing up installing a ls1 in a 69 camaro, and am currently installing guages. I have to drill and tap the t-stat housing for the sending unit. And thought while this is off, maybe I should change to thermosat. I know some say this is benificial? Is it, and what kind, and how much, what degree? I am running in AZ. I am going to have ls1 edit. So is it worth it, or should I just leave the stock one. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

Default Re: Help.. need thermostat info.

In desert heat like that, you will benefit greatly from a 160F thermostat. Typically, LS1's seem to run about 200-220F under average to heavy load. Swapping out the thermostat for one that opens at 160 (and completely opens at 178 I believe), allows for your coolant temps to drop drastically. Combined with ls1-edit and changing your fan operating temps to 180, you will see about a 20-30 degree coolant temperature change. And as we all know, heat is a huge enemy of horsepower, and one of the top contributors to deterioration.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Can you get a 160 deg t-stat from the dealer, or napa? Also someone told me you have to buy the whole housing? Is that true?
Old 09-26-2002, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there no way to put the sending unit in the head or something? Seems like it would fluctuate alot at the t-stat. Anyway here's where I got mine. http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...12&prmenbr=361
Old 10-03-2002, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

For my LS1 powered sandrail, I removed the plug at the back of the passenger side head and tapped it to 1/4" pipe thread and stepped it down to the 1/8" thread of the Autometer sending unit.

Be careful not to thread it too deep or the bushing will bottom out on the threads before it seals. I also used several layers of teflon tape.

Does anybody know if this placement will give a false reading or not?
Old 10-03-2002, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

You should have done research first. You can do the free mod to change your stock stat to open at lower temperatures. Here's the site. Stat Mod