Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** The best poly motor mount write up ever written **

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1/8" to 1/4"
Old 05-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up Luna! I printed it out for my near future use!

What would be the downside of using solids vs. the poly? (other than the price of course). It seems the solids would be easier to install, so why dont more people use them?

Can you use poly motor mounts and a poly trans mount without it being too tight?

What about using solid mounts with a poly trans mount? Would that work?
Old 05-24-2006, 02:52 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єlˇmˇиąŧřя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by camaroextra
Excellent- i still just wanna wing it and weld my block to the k-member lol
that is the best idea I have ever heard from you!
Old 05-24-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by XtinctZ28
Nice write up Luna! I printed it out for my near future use!

What would be the downside of using solids vs. the poly? (other than the price of course). It seems the solids would be easier to install, so why dont more people use them?

Can you use poly motor mounts and a poly trans mount without it being too tight?

What about using solid mounts with a poly trans mount? Would that work?
Solids will have your car rocking and shaking like a race car. Polys are more streetable and keep the car from rocking while keeping the engine still.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by brad8266
Solids will have your car rocking and shaking like a race car. Polys are more streetable and keep the car from rocking while keeping the engine still.
What he said, the solids will transfer pretty much all engine movement to the chassis, so its really a matter of preference. I personally could care less because I know I would get used to it.

Solids are also a little lighter than the stock clamshell pedestal setup by almost 10 pounds I think.

Also, as far as a tranny mount, as long as the motor mount is harder than the trans mount you will be fine. You don't want rubber motor mounts and a poly trans mount because when you're motor moves more than your trans will you are risking cracking your bellhousing.

I would say solid motor mounts and poly trans mounts are a good idea, I personally still have the rubber trans mount, but its life is probably near the end.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

Originally Posted by Luna
What he said, the solids will transfer pretty much all engine movement to the chassis, so its really a matter of preference. I personally could care less because I know I would get used to it.

Solids are also a little lighter than the stock clamshell pedestal setup by almost 10 pounds I think.

Also, as far as a tranny mount, as long as the motor mount is harder than the trans mount you will be fine. You don't want rubber motor mounts and a poly trans mount because when you're motor moves more than your trans will you are risking cracking your bellhousing.

I would say solid motor mounts and poly trans mounts are a good idea, I personally still have the rubber trans mount, but its life is probably near the end.
Awesome. It's people like you that keep us less informed LSXers from screwing **** up! Thanks again for the write up.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:11 AM
Launching!

Dude, if you think you want poly mounts, think hard and be sure you really do. They're no cake-walk by any means. He said 20-24 hours all alone. It took my dad, my brother, and me 10 hours to do a clutch swap and the motor mounts.

The clutch was easy. I'm getting too good at pulling my M6.

The mounts were a real bear.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What if the motor was already out? Would it be easy to do, then?
Old 07-02-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by black_knight
What if the motor was already out? Would it be easy to do, then?
Very easy with the motor out, I would assume
Old 07-03-2006, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

We swapped rod bolts, motor mounts, and replaced the rear diff. cover in a total of about 11 hours on a lift over the weekend. This was the first time any of us had pulled an LS1 oil pan as well.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write-up.

Definately not needed, but on a side note: if you can get yourself some used mounts complete with clamshells, you won't break much stride by getting these ready first with your new poly mounts.

If I had to do it again, I would have bought a cheap used set off ebay and got it ready beforehand.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:09 AM
12 Second Club

TTT for a good write up. Sticky material. Plus getting into's JRP's FAQ would be good too.

Ski
Old 07-04-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Great write-up.

Definately not needed, but on a side note: if you can get yourself some used mounts complete with clamshells, you won't break much stride by getting these ready first with your new poly mounts.

If I had to do it again, I would have bought a cheap used set off ebay and got it ready beforehand.
That's a very good idea! You can also clean the clamshells up some, paint, powdercoat, etc.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Luna, did you do have the stock exhaust? If not any idea how hard this is to do if you've got stock manifolds/Y-pipe?

Joe
Old 07-13-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by black99ta
Luna, did you do have the stock exhaust? If not any idea how hard this is to do if you've got stock manifolds/Y-pipe?

Joe
No I had Longtube headers, I would imagine it might be a little bit easier with the stock manifolds but I honestly dont remember where exactly everything went with the stock exhaust so I couldnt tell you for sure.

On a side note, doing motor mounts on a stock exhaust car doesnt make much sense.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Luna
No I had Longtube headers, I would imagine it might be a little bit easier with the stock manifolds but I honestly dont remember where exactly everything went with the stock exhaust so I couldnt tell you for sure.

On a side note, doing motor mounts on a stock exhaust car doesnt make much sense.
I see where you're coming from, but even with the stock exhaust I get the Y-pipe banging the floorboards and I don't have any plans to change the exhaust anytime soon. The mount itself might even be damaged, so I figure I'll just upgrade it to polyurethane right off the bat.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

I have never heard of a stock y-pipe banging the floorboard.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Holy smokes! This is a big job. It took all day just to get it apart.

I have the poly mounts in the clam shell and ready to go. Hopefully I can put it back together tomorrow. I'm beat!
Old 07-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Holy smokes! This is a big job. It took all day just to get it apart.

I have the poly mounts in the clam shell and ready to go. Hopefully I can put it back together tomorrow. I'm beat!
Not to rain on your parade, but I thought the hardest part was getting the damned things back in...in hindsight, I'm glad I did it, and it has allowed me to say "at least I'm not installing poly motor mounts" when I go to do my next install
Old 07-15-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Not to rain on your parade, but I thought the hardest part was getting the damned things back in...in hindsight, I'm glad I did it, and it has allowed me to say "at least I'm not installing poly motor mounts" when I go to do my next install
lol It shouldn't be too bad, I also have the heads off.

Quick Reply: ** The best poly motor mount write up ever written **