Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** The best poly motor mount write up ever written **

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Not to rain on your parade, but I thought the hardest part was getting the damned things back in...in hindsight, I'm glad I did it, and it has allowed me to say "at least I'm not installing poly motor mounts" when I go to do my next install
haha no ****, I always tell everyone that asks me about the poly mounts, after doing poly mounts with the headers on I'm not scared of anything this car can throw at me anymore .
Old 07-16-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a little trouble getting the last long bolt through, but I ground a point onto the tip of the bolt and rammed it home. I hope this mod was worth the effort! I guess I'll find out when I'm done with the H/C installation.

Thanks for the directions Luna, they were helpful.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
I had a little trouble getting the last long bolt through, but I ground a point onto the tip of the bolt and rammed it home. I hope this mod was worth the effort! I guess I'll find out when I'm done with the H/C installation.

Thanks for the directions Luna, they were helpful.
Wow man, that is crazy, we did the exact same thing, ground the bolt to a point and got a bigass hammer and started wailing on it and it worked.

I didnt include that part in my write up because
A. It seemed a little redneck

and

B. I didn't think anyone else would ever have to do that.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question....ive read in other posts that the motor sits higher on the new poly's...is this true?

Also how high can safely jack the motor when installing the new clamshell.....is as high as you need okay?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ilirw325
Quick question....ive read in other posts that the motor sits higher on the new poly's...is this true?

Also how high can safely jack the motor when installing the new clamshell.....is as high as you need okay?

Thanks
It might sit just a little bit higher, but you have to remember the poly's still have to fit in the clamshells so any difference in height is because of the difference in where the hole is in the poly's vs the rubbers.

As far as how high, many people say jack it till the intake manifold hits the cowl, the ONLY problem I encounted with jacking the motor up very high is that the hose for the power steering pump popped off and spit all the power steering fluid all over my face and the floor.

BTW, I think my intake manifold was about an inch to an inch and a half from the cowl.

But, the higher you jack it up, the easier it is to get the clamshells out.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea, I was keepin my eye on that bastard power steering line..lol

I just didint know if by jacking the motor too high if i would rip the trans mount apart..or if that was even possible to mess up.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Luna
Wow man, that is crazy, we did the exact same thing, ground the bolt to a point and got a bigass hammer and started wailing on it and it worked.

I didnt include that part in my write up because
A. It seemed a little redneck

and

B. I didn't think anyone else would ever have to do that.
lol I did the job alone. Putting the point on the bolt was my assistant. Some may call it a redneck move, I call it ingenuity

Actually, the bolt comes with a leading edge to help install it, we just took that idea a little farther. No harm.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
lol I did the job alone. Putting the point on the bolt was my assistant. Some may call it a redneck move, I call it ingenuity

Actually, the bolt comes with a leading edge to help install it, we just took that idea a little farther. No harm.

x3 For the grind a point on the bolt method. Did it last night on the passanger side mount. It was still a bear to get in...especially when ur workin by yourself in the 90 plus degree heat.

I think it can officially be added to the how to write up since we've all used the method with success. Dont know how else I would have got that bolt in, especially workin alone.

Other than those 2 long bolts, the job was easy.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ilirw325
x3 For the grind a point on the bolt method. Did it last night on the passanger side mount. It was still a bear to get in...especially when ur workin by yourself in the 90 plus degree heat.

I think it can officially be added to the how to write up since we've all used the method with success. Dont know how else I would have got that bolt in, especially workin alone.

Other than those 2 long bolts, the job was easy.
X2 on the heat. Fortunately for me there was an in-ground swimming pool twenty feet from where I was working - thank goodness
Old 08-04-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good write-up...
Old 08-07-2006, 11:01 AM
11Second Club

After putting the passenger side mount on, my driver's side mount was about 1" off center from the bracket. We had to pry the **** out of it to get it in there, and we still had to hammer the bolt in. It was quite an ordeal.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

So I'm guessing the right way to do it is to do one side completely (remove and replace) then proceed to the other side rather than remove both sides at once. Is that right?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:28 AM
11Second Club

I removed both sides completely, swapped the mounts in the clamshells, bolted the passenger side mount to the bracket, then bolted the clamshell to the engine. After that, we jacked up the driver's side all the way, bolted the clamshell to the engine, and then pried the engine over to get the bolt through the bracket and mount.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Thanks man. I'm probably going to try it this weekend. It's gonna be hot as a **** here in Atlanta. How long did it take you?

Joe
Old 08-07-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

It would actually be extremely difficult to do it one side at a time. Because once you get one side done you pretty much have to pivot the engine on the other side to lift it, which... well doesnt work.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Wow! I really appreciate the write-up!

Unfortunately, I believe this might have compelled me to either:
- put up with the banging from the y-pipe;
- put the stock exhaust back on;
- sell the car to someone who won't mind putting them on themselves

I had no idea you had to pull all of those excessories. I know some guys who tried to install a new engine w/ poly's and nothing lined up regardless of what they did...that was with nothing in the engine bay. This is going to take some serious mental preparation. The max time I would have is a day and I would have help. Is it possible to do in a single day, starting at sunrise, ending at sun set?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing.....
Old 08-08-2006, 10:02 AM
11Second Club

It took me and a buddy 8 hours. We are NOT mechanically inclined. About 15 months ago I changed spark plugs for the first time and I had never done an oil change. I've made a lot of progress in the past year, but I'm still a real newbie. If you have any experience working on cars, you have a fair amount of tools, and you can bench press more than 160lbs (I can't), you have the necessary equipment to get this done as quickly as we did.

The only advantage I had over others is that my A/C system is empty right now, so I could take the compressor off entirely instead of just moving it out of the way.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

It is entirely possible to do in one day, I worked on this mostly alone. Especially if you have air ratchets and stuff like that taking the accessories out of the way is trivial compared to the rest of it .

BUT if you absoloutely have to have the car then I would say wait till the weekend or something where it could sit for a few days just in case you run into issues.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good write up, I'd opt to sticky it. Maybe get JRP's approval like a few of you said. Maybe change a few things like the hammering of that bolt.

Quick Reply: ** The best poly motor mount write up ever written **