Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeeling =(

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeeling =(

Hey guys I just finished my H/C/I install and ive got about 800 miles on the car so far. Everything feels great but I get this annoying squeeling at engine speed. At idle you cant hear it at all but once you start to hit the throttle you can hear it and it speeds up with the RPM of the motor. It doesnt seem to be a belt, what else could it be? Please list things that I can check, can anything internal make a squeeling noise? I know I can hear the valvetrain like crazy but I do not think that this is a valvetrain noise.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

up up up
Old 04-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

If you got coolant on the belt that will cause squeeling...

Also if your balancer isn't on tight that will do it too...

Some thing to check anyway.

Mark
Old 04-21-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

spray some WD40, or other lubricant on the belt when the car is running and see if it goes away.

if it does not, my next guess would be the crank pulley slipping on the crank... i never believed that could happen, until it happened to a friend.. heh.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:48 PM
That's what she said...

Tighten your idler pulley.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

I will try these things when I get home tonight and see what happens, thanks for suggestions.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Could there be any squeeking type noise that would come from the valve train?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:41 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Ouchburns
Could there be any squeeking type noise that would come from the valve train?
If none of these things work, remove the belt and run it. If it's still happening, it's not the belt. In this case, remove the a/c belt and try that.

I'm still betting on loose idler pulley, don't ask me how I know.....
Old 04-21-2006, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
If none of these things work, remove the belt and run it. If it's still happening, it's not the belt. In this case, remove the a/c belt and try that.

I'm still betting on loose idler pulley, don't ask me how I know.....

Which one is the idler pulley? It wont run an accessories right? An idler pulley runs nothing correct?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which one is the idler pulley? It wont run an accessories right? An idler pulley runs nothing correct?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=45376
It's the small one to the left of the alternator and I'm almost positive it runs nothing.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Launching!

It is prolly your AC Tensioner Pulley. When I had a loud screaming noise, I thought it was just the Idler pulley, I replaced it, and then realized it was the AC Tensioner Pulley. Replaced it, and the noise went away. It was a very loud noise and it was annoying. As the RPM's go higher, the louder is screamed. Many people would ask me if I had a blower
Old 04-21-2006, 05:40 PM
That's what she said...

Correct. Its smooth, and over by the alternator.

Mine ran and sounded fine for about 300 miles or so. I put it on the dyno at HPE and a few guys complimented me on how good it sounded. Not 2 seconds later it started squealing something aweful. I thought was just the new belt or new pulley causing it. Got home and realized there were only about 3 threads of the idler pulley bolt holding it on and it was finger tight. The pulley had backed off with the bolt, causing the belt to run over it sorta sideways and causing a squealing.

I couldn't remember if I had tightened it and it backed out, or I just forgot to tighten it at all.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blue00WS6
It is prolly your AC Tensioner Pulley. When I had a loud screaming noise, I thought it was just the Idler pulley, I replaced it, and then realized it was the AC Tensioner Pulley. Replaced it, and the noise went away. It was a very loud noise and it was annoying. As the RPM's go higher, the louder is screamed. Many people would ask me if I had a blower

That exactly how it sounds man! I tried tightening my idler pulley and it was pretty tight already, I could only get a 1/4 turn out of it. It didnt make the noise at all until I ran the car hard one night racing a Cobra Mustang (which I beat) and then this s=loud annoying squeeling noise started happening that gets louder with RPM increase.

Do I actually have to replace this pulley and if so how much was it and is there any way to see if it is that pulley before I buy a new one? Like say grease it up and see if it stops.

Thanks for all the help guys, my car has been pissing me off by making this noise and making me wish that I had kept it stock instead of dropping 7K into it and getting rear ended last night
Old 04-21-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got some nasty squeaks goin on too, I'll check the idler pulley tomorrow, 15mm probably ?
Old 04-22-2006, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Luna
I've got some nasty squeaks goin on too, I'll check the idler pulley tomorrow, 15mm probably ?
Yea idler is 15mm
Old 04-22-2006, 11:57 AM
Launching!

That exactly how it sounds man! I tried tightening my idler pulley and it was pretty tight already, I could only get a 1/4 turn out of it. It didnt make the noise at all until I ran the car hard one night racing a Cobra Mustang (which I beat) and then this s=loud annoying squeeling noise started happening that gets louder with RPM increase.

Do I actually have to replace this pulley and if so how much was it and is there any way to see if it is that pulley before I buy a new one? Like say grease it up and see if it stops.

Thanks for all the help guys, my car has been pissing me off by making this noise and making me wish that I had kept it stock instead of dropping 7K into it and getting rear ended last night
You can do this. Completely remove the belt on the ac tensioner and everything (this is your small belt at the bottom of your motor). If it doesn't scream, then the ac tensioner pulley is your problem. More than likely that's what it is. Bad thing is, you will prolly have to get it from the dealership. But you may get lucky and find it at your local parts store and it will cost you anywhere from $50-$75!