Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can u install crane HI-6 TR ignition box on2k SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can u install crane HI-6 TR ignition box on2k SS

before i sell my NIB crane HI-6 TR ignition, was curious if anyone knows if I can use it on my 2k SS.....thanks
Old 11-03-2002, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: can u install crane HI-6 TR ignition box on2k SS

in a word, no.

the reason is that 1998-up model camaro, firebird, corvette have what is called a coil on plug ignition. which means that there is one coil per cylinder with a short ignition wire connecting it to the spark plug. its a tough setup to beat. the only set-up better would be one with msd or some other kind of coils in place of the oem coils. thats the reason why most of us when upgrading ignition do no more than a set of wires and plugs. there are a few other reasons too. such as the following.
1. no direct fit system that includes new coils or any other part of the ignition(besides plugs and wires of course). well i do remember seeing a set-up by holley that costed about $3,000 in summit way back when. i'm not sure if its still available and what all it included.
2. no reason to upgrade coils when the oem coils puts out as much voltage as will ever be needed.

anyone else have anything on this?

Quick Reply: can u install crane HI-6 TR ignition box on2k SS