Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye bye y-pipe, hello duals....need muffler help though

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bye bye y-pipe, hello duals....need muffler help though

I'm getting some 3" true duals ASAP. I need to know where I can buy Magnaflow mufflers though that will fit. Also, will the Magnaflow be as quiet as the Borla XR1s? I plan to go with a 16" muffler to keep it as quiet as possible. I wanna dump as close to the axle as possible. Will angling the turndowns toward each other help decrease the sound? What angle? Also, post up some pics if you have them. Thanks a lot!

EDIT: I also need to know how big around can you go without killing ground clearance. TIA

<small>[ November 05, 2002, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: quickWS6 ]</small>
Old 11-06-2002, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Bye bye y-pipe, hello duals....need muffler help though

Come on guys.....just a little feedback please
Old 11-06-2002, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

I'm interested in hearing something also. Is there a particular reason your going with 3" instead of somthing like 2.5". I'm assuming that your car is lightly modded?. Just wondering. I would like to run true duals on my f-body. I saw where a guy had pics of his true dualed camaro on here, but I want to try to go over the axle. He said something about it not being able to be done with 3" pipes.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I looked around on Lane's website www.laneswheels.com and watched the Quicktime versions of their videos. They have a white Formula with an X setup, and Flowpro mufflers. Despite the shitty recording, that is the meanest sounding LS1 I've heard in a long time. Should I go the true dual route, hands down I will be getting those mufflers.

Scott
Old 11-06-2002, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The true dual is the way to go.As far as mufflers go it just depends on your taste.I had a x with bullets on my car but am working on something else.I am going to try the oval dynatech's.They are supposed to be quieter than the bullets.Borla also makes a new muffler called the pro xs they are quieter than the bullets and sound good.The only drawback is 2 1/2 is the biggest you can get.I put a set on a buddy's 98 ta it sounds really good.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

My friend has the Magnaflow mufflers on his 3" dual exhaust and they sound good. It's very deep and mellow at idle but at wide open throttle it gets much louder and very aggressive sounding. The Magnaflows will fit fine. I run 4" bullet mufflers on my 3" dual exhaust and it sounds awesome and the only thing that scrapes is my X-pipe. That's only on speed bumps plus my front end is lowered about 2" with QA1 shocks.Good Luck!

Mike
Old 11-06-2002, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

I've had the bullets, but wanted something alot quieter, and ended up going with the Eldebrock RPM muflers, in the 2.5 size. I had the mufler ends expanded to come out to 3", and use band clamps to attach, and have turndowns. It sounds great. I picked these muflers because they are only 3.6" thick, and only 7" wide. They fit nice.