Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust problem...maybe cats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust problem...maybe cats?

about 4 or 5 years ago i installed SLP long tubes and high flow cats with the off-road y-pipe. everyone knows about the clearance issues, and i'm wondering if i've screwed my cats up from bottoming out to much.
when i let off the throttle at high rpm's...around 4500 or 5000, and let the exhaust resonate, it has started making a loud "pop pop pop" noise almost like a...shall i say...backfire? it's not a very consistant popping noise though, so i don't think it's a cylinder missfire or anything, because if it was it would be repititious or have some sort of pattern right? its hard to describe but this is the best i can do. i'll try to lay it out like this...
from 5000 rpm's:
"pop......pop..pop....pop.............pop"

sorry...thats about as good as it gets for a description, LOL

my SES light isn't comming on, so i don't think anything is wrong mechanically. i'm just worried that after to much bottoming out i've screwed my cats up. i've heard SLP is the worst as far as ground clearance, so i don't think it was my carlessness, cause i try to go over speed bumps as slow as possible, almost to the extent of stopping before i cross, but there has been quite a few occasions where no matter what i do, i know i'm bottoming out a little.

any ideas????
Old 05-02-2006, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

I honestly don't think it is your cats or because you are bottoming out. Some things to check though would be your o2 sensors, you could have ripped one loose, but i guess you would get an SES then. Might go ahead and check your spark plugs and make sure all the fittings on your exhaust and headers are nice and tight and check for leaks. Don't rule anything out just because the noise is not a pattern of any sort.

Hope that helps some.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

well, i know it's not the sensors, cause i plugged the holes, and i have simms. but i'll deffinatley check the other stuff. thanks for the insight!
Old 05-02-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait, you have cats AND an OR "Y" pipe. Isn't that an oxymoron? Don't you either have cats OR an OR "Y" pipe (where OR stands for Off Road implying no cats required) not both? Both of my LSXs have Pacesetters with OR "Y" pipes. They don't have cats. I bought the OR "Y" pipes not to get rid of my cats because I had already gutted them, but to make mounting the headers to my catback a lot easier. Without the Pacesetter OR "Y" pipe you have to do a lot of cutting and welding. With it none is required. I do have O2 Simms to prevent the DTC from setting and turning on my SES lite.

Last edited by eallanboggs; 05-03-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Wow I totally missed that, yeah do you have an OR"y" or catted? and even if you have sims, you still have front o2 sensors that could be messed up.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

yeah, i have cats WITH an OR y-pipe, only becasue i have to pass inspection...i used to put them on long enough to pass inspection, and then take em right back off, but last year i got lazy, and never took em back off.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

oh, and i have all 4 O2 simms.