Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underdrive pulley install. Need to replace the seal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Underdrive pulley install. Need to replace the seal?

I've been getting all of my tooling and parts together to perform my pulley install. I never saw anyone mention replacing the seal in old threads. I started thinking about it and now I'm not sure if I need to replace it or not, I've done some searching and of course most answers say to replace it just to do it right. I just wanted some other opinions if the seal currently isn't leaking what are the chances I'll damage it and cause a leak? Has anyone done the swap wuthout replacing it an had success with it? If I do need to replace it any recommendations on tooling or techniques to replace it without removing the whole cover?

I'm sure it would be easier to wait until heads/cam but I'm really going to try my best for stock internal 11s so I'd like the extra possible .1 from the pulley. If its too much of a pain i may reconsider lol. Any help or info is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-24-2016, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would replace the seal with a new one, cheap and easy to change. The old seal has worn it self in to the old pulley hub.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input. I've never removed one.. will it just pull out and a new one slide right in? Want to make sure I install it properly..
Old 03-24-2016, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro
Thanks for the input. I've never removed one.. will it just pull out and a new one slide right in? Want to make sure I install it properly..
It's a bit of a bear to just pull out; its safer to just pull the timing cover and pop it out from the rear; but you'll want a new timing cover seal as well...
Old 03-25-2016, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I may have to wait for a cam or tear the whole thing down. I guess I'm just surprised I haven't seen it pop up much but maybe it's because most do it during a cam install and it requires it at that point anyways. Anyone else attempt to do it without removing the cover? I was hoping there would be some hope that it would be easy lol.. I appreciate the responses!
Old 03-25-2016, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

I guess I may have to wait for a cam or tear the whole thing down. I guess I'm just surprised I haven't seen it pop up much but maybe it's because most do it during a cam install and it requires it at that point anyways. Anyone else attempt to do it without removing the cover? I was hoping there would be some hope that it would be easy lol.. I appreciate the responses!
Removing the cover is a piece of cake. Just have to maneuver it a tad to clear the accessories. I wouldn't worry much about doing it.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK I may do that then.. I'd need a new timing cover seal, water pump gaskets, and a crankshaft seal, and rtv sealant for the bottom of the timing cover right? More than I planned on but if that is the easiest way than I guess I'll give it a shot
Old 03-25-2016, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

OK I may do that then.. I'd need a new timing cover seal, water pump gaskets, and a crankshaft seal, and rtv sealant for the bottom of the timing cover right? More than I planned on but if that is the easiest way than I guess I'll give it a shot
I mean: you could try pulling the gasket out first to save a few steps: but I'd be more afraid of marring the crank or the cover itself.... It doesn't have reliefs like the rear main seal does for prying out.

I had to really go at it with a hammer to relieve it. Maybe if you tried carefully heating the metal around the seal it would give you more give.... But I'd find it much easier to pull a few bolts than fiddling around.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You would spend more time trying to get the gasket off than just taking the cover off and removing it from the backside.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK sounds good! Looks like I'll order a few more gaskets and give it a shot... I'm sure I could use some new coolant anyways. Too bad I couldn't just slap a cam in at this point lol.. maybe next year!
Old 03-26-2016, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

OK sounds good! Looks like I'll order a few more gaskets and give it a shot... I'm sure I could use some new coolant anyways. Too bad I couldn't just slap a cam in at this point lol.. maybe next year!
Well: the hardest part of the cam install for me (aside from wrestling with the oil pump that I decided to replace) was getting that damn pulley off and on.... So if you feel comfortable with all that then you'll be pretty well-suited for a cam swap next year!
Old 03-26-2016, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I've heard the oil pumps can be a fun time but i always hear the pulley is the worst lol.. it doesn't look like I need to remove a ton to clear out the timing cover unless I'm missing something? Looks like mainly the water pump and the pulley.. I'm wondering if the radiator will need to come out or not? after some searching it sounds like people are talking about removing 2 front oil pan bolts and having to use alignment tools and stuff to get it aligned properly.. is it all that complicated?
Old 03-26-2016, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

It'll definitely help, actually noticed it on my old Fbody.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I've heard the oil pumps can be a fun time but i always hear the pulley is the worst lol.. it doesn't look like I need to remove a ton to clear out the timing cover unless I'm missing something? Looks like mainly the water pump and the pulley.. I'm wondering if the radiator will need to come out or not? after some searching it sounds like people are talking about removing 2 front oil pan bolts and having to use alignment tools and stuff to get it aligned properly.. is it all that complicated?
I bought an alignment tool, but I think you'll be fine installing the timing cover loosely, then installing the pulley, and finally torquing the timing cover (I'd start with the oil pan bolts first). There are a couple of YouTube videos which show the timing cover being installed without an alignment tool.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK cool I'll have to see if I can find those videos.. I'm guessing after the pulley went back on I'd have to sneak a little rtv sealant at the bottom of the cover then finish tightening from there.. thanks for the responses im just trying to make sure I get it right the first time, don't feel like removing the pulley twice lol
Old 03-26-2016, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

OK cool I'll have to see if I can find those videos.. I'm guessing after the pulley went back on I'd have to sneak a little rtv sealant at the bottom of the cover then finish tightening from there.. thanks for the responses im just trying to make sure I get it right the first time, don't feel like removing the pulley twice lol
Not needed: RTV the corners, loosely install the timing cover then install the pulley. Once the pulley is installed, torque the timing cover down.

Most RTV actually calls for a cure time before final torque (something most of us skip anyways) so even if it sets up a little you should be covered.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK sounds good, I was thinking of the possibility of me having trouble installing it and it curing too quick.. but i do have an install tool that should make it go pretty quick.. thanks for the advice.. now just gotta get all of my gaskets ordered and I'll be good.

Quick Reply: Underdrive pulley install. Need to replace the seal?