Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Voltage

For the past few days my voltage has been gettting lower and lower. It is now at around 9 volts. The car seems to run fine and start fine. The volts get progressively lower as I drive. Windows work very very slow.

This has all been happening since I added seafoam to my gas. Any idea what the problem could be? What to check for?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like your alternator is going out. the seafoam has absolutely nothing to do with it. it's like saying it started happening after you rotated your tires.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:34 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
sounds like your alternator is going out. the seafoam has absolutely nothing to do with it. it's like saying it started happening after you rotated your tires.
Unless he poured it into his battery cells........

I believe autoparts stores can put their machine on it and check the output. Autozone will do it for free.

If you DO end up changing the alternator, use EXTREME caution while pulling it off. There is a weathertight connector that plugs in from the top as it's bolted up. It's positioned in such a way that it's hard to see and even harder to disconnect while the alternator is still on the car. It houses 1 tiny *** red "exicter wire".

I've seen countless threads about people who have unbolted the alternator, unbolted the main power wire, pulled it out, and ripped that little wire clean out of the plug. Most people don't even notice it untill they try to put **** back together, and they have no charging.

If you should happen to screw it up, it's a pretty easy fix.