Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! in need of a intake but which one?

Old 05-11-2006, 02:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!! in need of a intake but which one?

ok im ordering the cam package from tsp this weekend without a doubt .but my car is a 98 so i have the ls1intake .im looking to get about 400+ on motor but i know my stock intake will slow me down alil on power.ive cam up with the BBK SSI series which i like what i see so far or the ls6 intake .my car is a daily driver and i have the stock maf and throttle body, i may change the throttle body thaugh soon. so which one should i get im just exhausted lookign at all the diff brands of intakes so help me
Old 05-11-2006, 02:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go with the ls6 its worth the money and it will get you, with that package, what your looking for
Old 05-11-2006, 02:38 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS6 and ported throttle body is right up your alley. You can always sell them in the future should you choose to upgrade to a FAST or something.

Check out the for sale section, and possibly post a thread in the parts wanted section.

I wouldn't pay more than around $330 for the intake manifold. You'll also need to buy the coolant pipe and plugs too. Do a search if you want more info on them.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:10 AM
12 Second Club

Cheapest I found NEW ls6 intake manifolds (w/no provisions) was on slponline.com $399.95.
thats where i got mine from and it was at my door in 3 days.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Essentially you a fair amount of choice. The LS1 in fairness is actually pretty good and although it will lag behind the LS6 it's only mostly at rpms higher than 4500rpm. So if you don't think you'll be up in the revs much sticking with the LS1 will be the cheapest option.

However, this isn't what I'd do.

The LS6 intake really is very very good for an OEM part and well worth the money. TSP sell them for ~$400 and for ~$450 you can even get them with the EGR provision for the 98-00 cars so they are an easy bolt on.

To go along with the intake you should port your TB, alll you need is a Dremel or similar and you can do it for free. Failing that you can buy a ported TB for about $75.

This setup will be great on a 346ci cammed or h/c setup.

Personally I've never heard good thinks about the BBK or Weiland intakes, they look pretty but don't perform much better than the LS1 (from the tests I've seen/read). I would also stay clear of the BBK TB (85mm) I have heard lots of problems with it and it won't make any better power than a stock ported one.

If you fancy spending more money two other choices lay before you.

1. TPIS offer a modified LS6 intake manifold with a 90mm opening they also offer 90mm TB's round and oval variants. This manifold DOES out perform a stock LS6 intake. The BIG downer is the price. TPSI have IMO really messed up here as you can not actually by a 90mm LS6 intake without exchanging an LS6 intake. Which means us guys with LS1 intakes have to buy a LS6 and then exchange it for a 90mm variant. This means you are going to be spending an easy $600-700 on the intake then you have to add the cost of the TB on top of it. At this money I would not go this option. If it was better priced then it would be well worth it though.

2. FAST 90mm intake, this will cost similar to getting the TPIS 90mm LS6 intake but it will out perform the 90mm LS6 intak. So at this price level I would opt for this. There have been quite a few bad reports of the FAST 90mm TB though so I'd combine the intake with a Nick Williams 90mm TB. Although TSP do offer a cheaper 90mm which may be worth having a look at.

I'd probably not bother with the FAST 78mm setup as it probably won't out perform a stock LS6 and ported TB it'll just cost a lot more.

There are many other carb style intakes such as TPIS' Spyder intake and Edlebrock I think offer one. These are best matched to larger displacement engines and on a 346ci you may see higher PEAK numbers but the low and mid range will suffer. Torque at 4000rpm will be significantly down compared to a FAST 90mm setup, so unless you have a specific need I'd stay away from these also.

If it was me I'd go LS6 and ported TB as it will perform well. If you have too much money burning your pocket then the FAST 90mm is undeniably better but it will cost you about 2 1/2 half times more money and personally I feel the gain isn't worth the extra money for most applications.

Wildcard:

There is one last option. A new intake has just been launched by Professional Products. It is aluminium so it will suffer the heatsoak issues as do all aluminium intakes, however I personally feel this is highly overated as an issue anyhow.

The big thing is they offer two setups 85mm and 96mm and the TB's to go with the intakes. Plus they are pretty cheap. The 85mm intake is ~$365 all in and a TB is less than $200. The manufacturer claims the intakes out perform both the LS1 and the LS6 intakes however I have not seen any proof of this.

I doubt very much that they will exceed or even be as good as the FAST 90mm but I'm pretty certain they will match or better the LS6 and fall into a place half way between the existing setups. This combined with the price makes them look very tempting. Here's a thread with some additional info on the intake: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/493176-professional-products-intake-manifold.html

Hope this helps
Old 05-11-2006, 04:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the LS6.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Personally I've never heard good thinks about the BBK or Weiland intakes, they look pretty but don't perform much better than the LS1 (from the tests I've seen/read). I would also stay clear of the BBK TB (85mm) I have heard lots of problems with it and it won't make any better power than a stock ported one.
I don't know where people come up with this stuff. Heatsoak is not an issue when you are talking about the car moving and the volume of air passing through the manifold at such high velocity. Maybe sitting at a stop light idling the manifold will be warmer, but once you take off heatsoak isn't an issue anymore. I have heard good things from many users on here about both the Weiand and BBK manifolds. Don't fret !
Old 06-04-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Essentially you a fair amount of choice. The LS1 in fairness is actually pretty good and although it will lag behind the LS6 it's only mostly at rpms higher than 4500rpm. So if you don't think you'll be up in the revs much sticking with the LS1 will be the cheapest option.

However, this isn't what I'd do.

The LS6 intake really is very very good for an OEM part and well worth the money. TSP sell them for ~$400 and for ~$450 you can even get them with the EGR provision for the 98-00 cars so they are an easy bolt on.

To go along with the intake you should port your TB, alll you need is a Dremel or similar and you can do it for free. Failing that you can buy a ported TB for about $75.

This setup will be great on a 346ci cammed or h/c setup.

If you fancy spending more money two other choices lay before you.

1. TPIS offer a modified LS6 intake manifold with a 90mm opening they also offer 90mm TB's round and oval variants. This manifold DOES out perform a stock LS6 intake. The BIG downer is the price. TPSI have IMO really messed up here as you can not actually by a 90mm LS6 intake without exchanging an LS6 intake. Which means us guys with LS1 intakes have to buy a LS6 and then exchange it for a 90mm variant. This means you are going to be spending an easy $600-700 on the intake then you have to add the cost of the TB on top of it. At this money I would not go this option. If it was better priced then it would be well worth it though.

2. FAST 90mm intake, this will cost similar to getting the TPIS 90mm LS6 intake but it will out perform the 90mm LS6 intak. So at this price level I would opt for this. There have been quite a few bad reports of the FAST 90mm TB though so I'd combine the intake with a Nick Williams 90mm TB. Although TSP do offer a cheaper 90mm which may be worth having a look at.

I'd probably not bother with the FAST 78mm setup as it probably won't out perform a stock LS6 and ported TB it'll just cost a lot more.

There are many other carb style intakes such as TPIS' Spyder intake and Edlebrock I think offer one. These are best matched to larger displacement engines and on a 346ci you may see higher PEAK numbers but the low and mid range will suffer. Torque at 4000rpm will be significantly down compared to a FAST 90mm setup, so unless you have a specific need I'd stay away from these also.

If it was me I'd go LS6 and ported TB as it will perform well. If you have too much money burning your pocket then the FAST 90mm is undeniably better but it will cost you about 2 1/2 half times more money and personally I feel the gain isn't worth the extra money for most applications.

Wildcard:

There is one last option. A new intake has just been launched by Professional Products. It is aluminium so it will suffer the heatsoak issues as do all aluminium intakes, however I personally feel this is highly overated as an issue anyhow.

The big thing is they offer two setups 85mm and 96mm and the TB's to go with the intakes. Plus they are pretty cheap. The 85mm intake is ~$365 all in and a TB is less than $200. The manufacturer claims the intakes out perform both the LS1 and the LS6 intakes however I have not seen any proof of this.

I doubt very much that they will exceed or even be as good as the FAST 90mm but I'm pretty certain they will match or better the LS6 and fall into a place half way between the existing setups. This combined with the price makes them look very tempting. Here's a thread with some additional info on the intake: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493176

Hope this helps
i swear to god if you dont write a book everytime you post
Old 06-04-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Just check out the Parts Classifieds.. you can find an LS6 intake for 300-325$ shipped easily.

Search this Thread