Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Catted Y - ORY w/bullet - ORY alone
TSP catted Y
50.00%
ORY w/bullet in I pipe
25.00%
ORY alone
25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

***Cats v.s. ORY w/Bullet***

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Bullet v.s Cats***

I currently have LM on right now and am gettin pacesetters here real soon. I know that that is not the best combo but untill I can come up with the extra cash for the GMMG, it will have to work.

I am undecided on which route to go... TSP catted Y or TSP ORY with a dynomax in the I pipe?

1- Although it wont be much, which will release more hp?
2- In your guys' opinion, what will sound better? (with LM and GMMG)
3- I know that TSP's x pipe comes with other options for their muffler; spiral flow, sweet thunder, dynomax. Are they able to be put into an I of an ORY?

Help me out guys, what should I do?

Last edited by Italiano99; 05-11-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:30 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cats aren't going to cost you anypower untill you hit 450rwhp.

Cats are going to make both of those systems sound much better.

You could put any bullet/spiralflow/ST/borla muffler with the "tube" shape into the I-pipe.

I think you should get the catted y-pipe AND put a muffler in the I-pipe.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

maybe you could try a 2 bullets in the ORY itself... like where the cats go. help to minimize rasp and flow just like an ORY does
Old 05-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Launching!

I know that cats and bullets get rid of the rasp and some drone, but will the bullets quiet it down some like the cats would?
Old 05-11-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

Default Nope!

I have Jet Hot coated header, a coated Hooker Y and a MagnaFlow catback. I put a Dynomax bullet in the Ipipe and it helped some but still to load at WOT. Attrachs the COPS from neighboring towns.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Launching!

then whats the point, to get rid of rasp and drone?
Old 05-11-2006, 10:11 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Italiano99
then whats the point, to get rid of rasp and drone?
Exactly, and some people are STILL getting it even with something installed. Cats still help more than anything.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure what you are trying to address.

CATS are needed for emissions purposes not noise. Strictly speaking you can not legally run an ORY in the US as removing the CATS is a federal offense. However as each state coverns itself this is not enforced an emissions testing is often only visual, OBDII scan. However if you need to pass a sniffer test then you don't really have a choice - you must run CATS.

If you think you can pass emissions without CATS then why bother with them?

Yes the LM is loud and some complain of rasp espcially when combined with an ORY. Do you think it sounds raspy with stock manifolds and CATS? If so then running the LM with a catted Y will not improve things. Personally I don't think the LM does sound raspy (doesn't on my car anyhow).

The GMMG is actually not that different from the LM as they use the same type of muffler in essence. A deflecting chambered muffler. The GMMG due to it running two longer multi chambered mufflers generally sounds slightly more toned but with an ORY it stands the same chance at becoming raspy. And will also be very loud.

If you plan on running the LM and an ORY then try swapping the muffler for a bullet style muffler. Borla XR-1 and Maganflow mufflers are common options. They will alter the sound of the exhaust as they are a glass pack muffler as opposed to a chambered one. But a small bullet muffler really isn't going to do much for noise supression as there just isn't enough packing material in the muffler.

You could try adding a second muffler in the I pipe but I think you will find space at a premium and if you ever plan on running a body mounted torque arm the second muffler would be in the way. I would not go down this route.

Adding bullet mufflers into the Y pipe also wouldn't be the way I'd go. Catted Y pipes are a slightly different shape to allow enough space for the CATS. An ORY is designed to tuck up tighter so adding mufflers (or indeed CATS) to it can be a real pain requireing a fair amount of fab work. It's not impossible though and many have done it.

But at the end of the day if you don't want a loud exhaust why are you running a LOUDmouth? If it doesn't fit the bill for what you want then the cheapest easiest solution is to sell it and replace it with something else.

Use you current setup (if its stock headers and CATS with a LM) as a bench mark. Because running LT's and a catted Y should sound very similar and perhaps a little louder.

One final option would be to add a chambers muffler such as a Powerstick to the I pipe, these are essentially the same thing as the GMMG uses. They are very compact and should fit fine in the I pipe before the LM resonator. However I doubt it will have much silencing affect.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Launching!

I never said I didn't want a loud exhaust, but I think most will agree with me that LM is one of the best sounding catbacks on stock manifolds but when LT's are added, its just obnoxiously loud. I just don't want cabin drone and heavy rasp, and from all the posts that I have read, GMMG is one of the best at keeping both of those away. But until then, I am looking for alternate options untill I get GMMG.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

friend of mine has cats and pacesetters with gmmg. he had the lm before. The gmmg is defintely more refined, but still very loud.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Launching!

how does an ory sound with gmmg, anyone know?
Old 05-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Italiano99
how does an ory sound with gmmg, anyone know?
LOUD!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Launching!

is there rasp or drone? and if so is it bearable with lt's and ory?
Old 05-13-2006, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

i have lt's ory and the lm II, im thinking of geting 1 cat at the end of the y-pipe, would only 1 high flow hurt, or should i go with 2
Old 05-14-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bad6as
i have lt's ory and the lm II, im thinking of geting 1 cat at the end of the y-pipe, would only 1 high flow hurt, or should i go with 2
Yes it would hurt flow ALOT worse than the stock muffler. You need two GOOD cats one for each bank of cylinders.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Banned

Yea you don't want to be running just one cat...

But GMMG is way overpriced imo. You can get a stainless Magnaflow catback for hundreds less, and it will sound better.

I always tell people this but really you should save up for 2.5" over-the-axle True Duals.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Teching In

I just got pacesetters for Christmas. I purchased the tsp catted-y and have a LM. Should be putting them on this weekend so I can give you a better answer then. I did searches on here and cats shouldn't cost you any horsepower and they're suppose to help with drone; plus you're still legal.