Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go fast save gas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go fast save gas?

Hey guys I've gotten a lot of great info from you and if i do a lot of highway and want to gain hp without killiing my gas mileage, what would be the best setup? 3600 stall? Underdrive pulley? ported tb and LS6 intake? headers and Y pipe? Let me know what you guys think cuz it will help me to make the best decision.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Opening up the exhaust will give you better mileage. The only problem is not getting on it every 5 minutes to hear the sound and feel the power.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

How do I open up the exhaust, is that ok for street use?
Old 05-14-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

The only problem with using bigger exhaust pieces is you'll want to hear your new exhaust so much that you'll constantly be reving at lights and punching the gas everywhere you go, therefor you will lose gas mileage. I say (if you are stock) a lid, ported throttle body, and LS6 intake would be a good setup that would give you signifigant gains and probably 2mpg more at the most.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Allergik2dyin
Opening up the exhaust will give you better mileage. The only problem is not getting on it every 5 minutes to hear the sound and feel the power.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

as longs as you keep your catalystic converters intact and your exhaust isnt insanely loud. you will not break any laws. or warranties
Old 05-14-2006, 10:13 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why are you looking to get good gas mileage out of a muscle car? I mean we do get pretty good gas mileage out of our cars nowadays, but still. Get a procharger. It will help fuel economy. And change your fuel filter and check for vac leaks along with getting a good street trim tune.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

gas milage???

haha just joking. i drive my camaro as a DD. baught the car stock, and have since done a lid, MAC-mids, and borla cat-back. honestly, i havnt noticed any difference in gas milage.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

dont get me wrong I love my car and gas really duznt matterbut I dont want to put all this stuff in it and then it kicks my wallets ***? I do a lot of highway driving, thats why. If I were to install a 36oo 10" stall in my 00 A4 t/a, would this make my transmission slip or off hand would you guys know if anything bad would happen or if it a great investment? I'm really not sure, thats why I'm asking.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aovall1
dont get me wrong I love my car and gas really duznt matterbut I dont want to put all this stuff in it and then it kicks my wallets ***? I do a lot of highway driving, thats why. If I were to install a 36oo 10" stall in my 00 A4 t/a, would this make my transmission slip or off hand would you guys know if anything bad would happen or if it a great investment? I'm really not sure, thats why I'm asking.
At the end of the day ANY mods you do will affect mpg, whether directly or indirectly.

Driving smooth and not opening the throttle too much will help. It's sometimes better to use a lower gear and higher rpms than make the engine labour, although in an automatic you are limited in your ability to conserve fuel.

Performing induciton/exhaust mods will often make an engine run leaner so in theory should use less fuel, however if you have it tuned correclty the theory doesn't apply.

More power requires more air which in turn means more fuel used.

Having tall rear end gears such as 2.73's will help on the highway as you will be able to cruise at 80mph @ 2000rpm.

As for getting a stall, well YES it has the potential to wreck your mpg although much of it will be down to how you drive.

The biggest thing is making sure the converter locks up. This can be an issue as altering the rotating mass of an engine can cause things like the misfire snensors to cause the convertor to unlock.

I would recommend speaking to someone like Fuddle Racing or Yank Converters ----> (both sponsors) as they will be able to match a converter for your needs and more importantly for YOUR individual car.

I would also recommend investing in some tuning software such as HP Tuners or EFI Live as this will allow you to reprogram shift points, kick down, remove torque managment and control the lock up of the converter.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL Supercharger will improve gas mileage. Yeah but there goes around 40-50 months worth of gas out the window. Also, I daily drive mine and probably do about $90 worth a gas a month. That does not justify me buying a 4 cyl beater for gas mileage because that would be added $$$ I could use towards gas, unless I sell my car.