Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV system. Do I need it now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 01:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default PCV system. Do I need it now?

I have a breather filter on the back of my driverside valve cover where the PCV used to hook up. I now have the LS6 PCV system with a catchcan between the valley cover and the intake, then the one line going from the passenger valvecover to the TB. Do I need any of the PCV system stuff, I mean can I plug up the TB, intake, valley, and valvecover and be ok, or will the breather filter not provide enough ventilation for the crank?
Old 05-13-2006, 01:44 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more I look at that line going from the valve cover to the TB, especially looking at how the machining looks on my NW 90, I have come to the conclusion that it's for sucking fresh air into the MOTOR. This explains why I've heard it called "the fresh air tube" before. I would not remove this tube if I were you.

As for the other system, I think you should go with one or the other. I like the breathers on racecars, catchcans on street cars. If it's working good, keep it the way it is, no reason to change it.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

Does much, if any oil get past the catchcan?
Old 05-15-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Trust
Does much, if any oil get past the catchcan?
little to none
Old 05-15-2006, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still get oil past the catch can even with the LS6 PCV swap and a low milage forged block. I run a breather on the passenger cover as well cause I've blown the front crank seal 3 times with the use of a little N20.

I have considered pulling all the PCV stuff off and run 2 breathers (one on each cover) to see how that works out.

A buddy of mine running well over the 500++RWHP N/A is actually blowing oil past the valve cover seal on the driver side.

Dan
Old 05-15-2006, 09:52 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by DanZ28
A buddy of mine running well over the 500++RWHP N/A is actually blowing oil past the valve cover seal on the driver side.
Mine blows oil out too. I'm thinking about switching to a breather as well.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:56 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Mine blows oil out too. I'm thinking about switching to a breather as well.
Dibs on your catch system!
Old 05-16-2006, 01:09 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I am going to go with the breather setup as well. Seems to be the less complicated and thats good for me.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan
With or without the breather mod?
Old 05-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Banned

My pcv system is gone. One breather on the passenger side cover and the engine is running perfectly.

Small-blocks (mild to wild) have been running single breathers since 1955 with zero issues. There are pushrod holes in the block that lets bank-to-bank pressure equalize immediately.

If you have enough piston ring blow-by where a single breather can't evacuate gasses fast enough then you have some serious piston ring issues.

BTW.... it's nice not having a single drop of oil in the intake manifold when you take the throttle body off for a peak inside.

Plus it looks much cleaner without all the pcv clutter.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

you just love to show that off dont you, I cant say i wouldnt if i spent day after day on it for months!!!!!!! but its so gorgeous pm me the name of that polish again becuase i got somethin that looked like it and you use it the same way but all it did is take off a layer of alluminum...
Old 05-16-2006, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CNVRTmyZ
you just love to show that off dont you, I cant say i wouldnt if i spent day after day on it for months!!!!!!! but its so gorgeous pm me the name of that polish again becuase i got somethin that looked like it and you use it the same way but all it did is take off a layer of alluminum...
Polishing is a waste of time if you don't sand it smooth as glass first. I'll call 'ya Charlie.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
With or without the breather mod?
Thats with the breather mod on both valve covers, oil is even being puked out of the breather. Judging by what's happening, it doesn't appear to have equal pressure on both sides. Car has alot of mods and puts down quite a bit of HP, so maybe this is exceptional. The engine is pretty new and there is no problems with piston rings. Car runs 10.1's N/A right now with a few issues.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:51 PM
Banned

Thats with the breather mod on both valve covers, oil is even being puked out of the breather. Judging by what's happening, it doesn't appear to have equal pressure on both sides. Car has alot of mods and puts down quite a bit of HP, so maybe this is exceptional. The engine is pretty new and there is no problems with piston rings. Car runs 10.1's N/A right now with a few issues.
Notice how I still have my breather mounted on the factory "chimney?"

If I put the same breather sticking directly into the valvecover it would be swallowing gobs of oil because of the angle/trajectory.

Perhaps you need to put a baffle in the breather to stop from it from swallowing oil. even with mine on the chiney and a homemade baffle in the breather it will still have splatter after a day of abusive driving.

Not because of pressure, but because of a flurry of oil and the angle of the pushrod hole squirting oil and the opening on the valve cover.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
The more I look at that line going from the valve cover to the TB, especially looking at how the machining looks on my NW 90, I have come to the conclusion that it's for sucking fresh air into the MOTOR. This explains why I've heard it called "the fresh air tube" before. I would not remove this tube if I were you.

As for the other system, I think you should go with one or the other. I like the breathers on racecars, catchcans on street cars. If it's working good, keep it the way it is, no reason to change it.

thats because 90% of the PCV systems job is to carry fresh air into the crankcase to displace blowby gasses.... a mere 10% of its job is to relieve crankcase pressure.... but most people dont bother figuring out WHY its there.. they just go by the "logic" of "if it works for racecars..."
Old 05-16-2006, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

so will it be ok to run breathers on it instead?? im interested
Old 05-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How does the PCV system get "fresh" air into the crankcase? It seems that the crankcase is pressurized (blowing) and the top of the motor has a vacuum (sucking). How do you get air to flow from the sucking side into the pressurized side? Not trying to be a smart *** or anything, I just want to understand as it sounds impossible to me.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

one breather and just plug everything else or what?
Old 05-16-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
thats because 90% of the PCV systems job is to carry fresh air into the crankcase to displace blowby gasses.... a mere 10% of its job is to relieve crankcase pressure.... but most people dont bother figuring out WHY its there.. they just go by the "logic" of "if it works for racecars..."
it's to get blowby/combustion gasses out of the crankcase thru a vacuum source
Old 05-17-2006, 01:17 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
Are those eyes directed towards me? How does any of the information in your post help/correct any of the information in mine? I'm pretty sure me saying what I said about "sucking fresh air into the motor" was the exact same you decided to post again.