Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another carb ls1 setup question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another carb ls1 setup question.

ive read and i have searched but i can not find anyone here that actually put a carb on an ls1 fbody. i need pictures of the cow and the carb. i saw alot of tb style setups but no carb on an fbody. i want to try one on my 98 camaro. my friend has one on his monte carlo with ls1 and i love the response it has. i am in the process of building a low compression 6.0 with ported tea heads and i dont know what cam yet to match. i talked to the carb shop and the offer a boost sensitive carb for fi setups.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Carbs work well for quarter mile cars (set up to do one thing only) and can be made to work on a street car obviously. But, they can't match the performance of a good fuel injection system. That might be why you don't see a lot of them.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're going FI then a carb setup is a pain for road use, one because you need to some how seal it. You then have to decide to go suck thru or blow thru (very BIG debate on which is best) and then fueling is a pig. To get it to run right off boost means it will be lean on boost, so you end up having to run it rich off boost which degrades off boost performance and uses a lot more fuel.

There have been many successful carb FI setups but unless you're prepared to accept the limitations of the setup I'd stick with EFI.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

300bhp. Unless you have had direct experience with blow through im going to have to disagree with everything you say about it. A blow through carb can be built to run very well and doesnt have to act anything like what you have described. I have experience with a home built blow through carb and they can be made to work. The best way to go is talk to Kevin at CSU. Hes the man in blow through carb world. My experience with blow through is working on a 500cid supercharged bbc. Blow through can and does work very well.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho Dave
300bhp. Unless you have had direct experience with blow through im going to have to disagree with everything you say about it. A blow through carb can be built to run very well and doesnt have to act anything like what you have described. I have experience with a home built blow through carb and they can be made to work. The best way to go is talk to Kevin at CSU. Hes the man in blow through carb world. My experience with blow through is working on a 500cid supercharged bbc. Blow through can and does work very well.
Tell me more!

I never said they couldn't work, just fueling is not as ideal as it is with EFI. How did you overcome off boost and on boost fueling requirements? And was this a street machine or purely track?

Cheers