Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: do you have coated or non coated pacesetters or some other brand
Coated Headers
91.09%
Black Painted Headers
8.91%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

coated pacesetter headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Allergik2dyin
I may get flammed for this but if you wanna do it right the first time, get stainless steel headers. If you can't afford it, save up until you can afford them. BTW- Don't coated headers eventually start to flake and rust?
ya you are gonna get flammed i agree with stainless, but i believe we are just talking pacesetters here, so in essence coated is better than non-coated
Old 06-01-2006, 06:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had painted hedmans on a 83 z28, I lost half the paint on them just installing them, within 3 months all the black was gone, turned a rusty color.
I'm never buying painted headers again. Hell the cost difference is easily made up by what a pain in the *** headers are to install. I don't know about LS1 cars, but installing BBK shorties in my 94 LT1 was aggravating.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen quite a few people complain about the coating rusting, and flaking..I ran Pacesetter coated LT's on my LT1 for quite a while and had no rust or anything. Also from the other coated headers I have had, they will last much longer if you can keep them clean. It was a tedious process, polishing the collectors and bottom of the primaries but I feel that may have made the difference in the longevity of the coating.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allergik2dyin
I may get flammed for this but if you wanna do it right the first time, get stainless steel headers. If you can't afford it, save up until you can afford them. BTW- Don't coated headers eventually start to flake and rust?
I've had my coated Pacesetters through 2 WV winters now (plenty of snow/sleet/salt/cinder dust on the road) and other than some surface rust - and rather light surface rust at that - they're fine. No peeling, ect.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Coated is the way to go. They will last longer. Here is a pic of my Race style Pacesetter LT's from TSP.

Listen to Big Mike he knows what hes talkin about. If you don't do it right don't do it at all. You will regret uncoated. Coated Pacsetters here.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Here's a picture of mine fresh out of the box...they look great.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlueB4C
Ok, so I am the fool everyone has been looking for. Yes I got the Uncoated but I got them to be a little different. I did it correctly though, I sanded down the crappy black paint that came on them (VERY thin coat that comes on them stock, please people if you buy them uncoated take some time and at least repaint them) I then put 3 coats of VHT black paint/ceramic coating, then heat wrapped them with the black DEI, then used 2 cans of the black DEI silicon spray that keep the moisture from rotting the wrap. SO feel free to tell me i'm an idiot because in the long run I spent just as much as if I woulda bought the coated ones, but I have gotten a ton of compliments and have never seen another set done this way.

I did The Same Exact Thing!!!
It Was way more EXPENSIVE than Getting Them Coated...Specialy Buying A Bunch Of SS Zip Ties,5 cans of DEI silicon spray, And all the DEI Exhaust Wrap....
I was thinking on getting coated and swap them, But now that I saw that I'm not the only one, And People actually Complement that...
I Will Keep Them Now!

I Guess I'm not the only fool after all!
Thanks BlueB4C
Old 01-04-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Coated here is a pic of mine after about 2 month about 400 miles

Old 01-05-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

well f*ck, my black headers will be in tomorrow
Old 01-05-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well after a bit of looking at my headers from under the car (was swapping rotors last night), seems like the lower part of the primaries and the collectors aren't holding up too well They're pretty rusted up, although it looks mostly like surface rust, but pretty nasty. I'll get some pictures up this evening when I get home, but I think a swap to QTPs will be in order here when it gets warm.

For what I paid for the Pacesetters though, they were definitely worth it.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

I've heard in the past header wrap tends to trap heat between the wrap and the tube causing stress cracks and warping to eventually happen. While the inside coating on coated headers keeps the heat in the coating. I see it has been a few months since you wrapped and installed your headers. How are they holding up blueb4c? I'm just curious.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

I just got done doing the same thing that BlueB4C did cause my coated pacesetters have finally started to chip off where the collectors are due to road debris and this great NY weather, I guess after two years I shouldn't complain but i just ran out of money to get new coated headers when I'm still trying to get my motor put back together.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by B
they will last much longer if you can keep them clean. It was a tedious process, polishing the collectors and bottom of the primaries but I feel that may have made the difference in the longevity of the coating.
Same for bare (as I call painted since it all burns off).
Polish steel everytime you park the car and it won't rust either. Let it cool , don't even touch it and spray bare steel with wd-40 they'll never rust either.

I've used bare headers forever and never had a set rust through. When they do surface rust it's uniform, unlike the jet hot coated big block headers I have now. Rusting. flaking garbage.
I don't have too many people putting their heads under my hood or car so I don't care what the finish looks like.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been wanting to wrap my headers for a while since i know they collect the heat and allow it to transfer further down the pipes than being released into the engine compartment. BlueB4C, have you noticed a large difference in heat from a wrapped header to a unwrapped header on LS1 engine bays? also how much did it cost you to do the whole wrapping and amount of time?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

I have the coated ones and they still look ok- Have had them for 3 1/2 years and still flows good. When these go I am going to go with a stepped type header.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

First off guys I am sorry to not get back to you, thought this thread died long ago.

Originally Posted by casado
I Guess I'm not the only fool after all!
Thanks BlueB4C
Haha, welcome to the club man, nice to know someone else had that idea too.

Originally Posted by pddye
How are they holding up blueb4c? I'm just curious.

They have held up phenomenally well, I put them on in March of last year so one year and 20,000 miles later they have zero rust (same cannot be said for the true duals unfortunately) The only thing I have a gripe with is the wrap on the driver side header is cut up from my damn garage because the angle to get into the thing is HUGE and my fat *** weighs the car down

Originally Posted by Mike2000Z28
I just got done doing the same thing that BlueB4C did cause my coated pacesetters have finally started to chip off where the collectors are due to road debris and this great NY weather
I hear ya about the NY weather, it sucks. Although this year the car was only off the road for 2 and a half months, glad to hear another one joined the wrapped club too

Originally Posted by reject
BlueB4C, have you noticed a large difference in heat from a wrapped header to a unwrapped header on LS1 engine bays? also how much did it cost you to do the whole wrapping and amount of time?
Not a LARGE difference but there is a difference. You can damn near put yout hand on the primaries before you feel a good amount of heat coming off of them but there is still radiant heat in the engine bay from the radiator, block, etc.
As far as cost the headers were from SpeedINC I think I got them for like $250 or something on a price match, I got a special from a non-sponsor on DEI wrap that came with 50 feet of wrap, stainless steel ties and a can of black silicone DEI coating for $47, I ended up needing more wrap (I was 10 or so feet short ) so I bought another kit a couple weeks later because of the good price. The black VHT was like $7 I think and the whole project took me a few hours over 2 days (this included waiting for the paint to dry) Not too bad IMO.

Last edited by BlueB4C; 03-30-2007 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Non-sponsor name in post
Old 03-30-2007, 11:58 PM
12 Second Club

Oh and I plan on putting my new heads on sometime this summer, If I remember I will try and take some pictures of the headers again since they have to come off anyways to show how they have held up.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds great! cant wait!!

Quick Reply: coated pacesetter headers?