Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions question??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions question??

Hey all,
I was looking into buying some QTP longtube headers for my 2001 SS. This is the route I would like to take: Corsa cat-back exhaust, QTP longtube's the emissions style, and a QTP off road y-pipe. I know all LT's are illegal for street use, but I was hoping to find away around it. Do you think that I could use my stock cats from my stock exhaust as "dummy" cats on the new set-up? Here in Tn, they to the OBD testing, gas cap testing and visual for cats. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Teching In

You talking about gutting the cats and fabbing them into your new ORY? I'm not sure that'd work, but I thought you should know that LTs in-and-of themselves aren't illegal, it's the fact that you don't have catalytic converters. If you can find a place to fab in some high-flow cats, that should keep you legal as long as they don't do a sniffer test. My $0.02 anyway.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really depends on where you live. In CA long tubes do not have a CARB number and are illegal on any car driven on public roads. Does not matter whether you have cats or not.

In some states you can get away with LT's as all the inspection/emission shop is looking for is whether your PCM is thorwing any codes. If the state has a visual inspection most times as long as they see the cats and the engine is not throwing codes you can get by. In some states just moving the cats from their stock location is illegal and if you get a dealer to inspect your car you might not pass. The guy I use in PA says as long as I don't throw codes and have cats he will pass me. Not sure what the actual law is in PA but don't care as long as I can get passed. My LT's go on in the fall I'm thinking.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Moving the CATs location is illegal so if you have CATs behind LT headers they are not in there factory location.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

It all depends on what state you are in and what county it is in that state. I just did a lot of research on this b/c I am about to get LT also and I found out that the county where I live in Texas only scans the computer and I can get away with no cats.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:35 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in Cali you can only put shorty style headers which are C.A.R.B. approved . For some insane reason you can not move the stock location of the cats. It has something to do with polluting on start up or something. Cali is the standard for all other states to follow.

We do have people that run long tubes and no cats but law enforcement is starting to crack down in some areas of the state. I love the weather but damn it is almost no fun when it comes to your car .
Old 05-31-2006, 02:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Formy
Here in Cali you can only put shorty style headers which are C.A.R.B. approved . For some insane reason you can not move the stock location of the cats. It has something to do with polluting on start up or something. Cali is the standard for all other states to follow.

We do have people that run long tubes and no cats but law enforcement is starting to crack down in some areas of the state. I love the weather but damn it is almost no fun when it comes to your car .
A friend and I are starting to look into moving out of the state (CA) for this exact reason. Our town in particular, Fresno, is going nutzo and sending everyone to the ref for ANY mod.....CARB approved or not.