Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone shaved their stock valve covers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone shaved their stock valve covers?

Has anyone shaved the coil pack bolt holes on a set of stock centerbolt valve covers? I was thinking about cutting/grinding them down flush with the rest of the cover, glassing in the holes, smoothing it all down, and painting them black. Then relocate the coil packs under the cowl.

So has it been done? If not any tips or suggestions as to why I should or should not try this?
Old 06-02-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NassyVette
Has anyone shaved the coil pack bolt holes on a set of stock centerbolt valve covers? I was thinking about cutting/grinding them down flush with the rest of the cover, glassing in the holes, smoothing it all down, and painting them black. Then relocate the coil packs under the cowl.

So has it been done? If not any tips or suggestions as to why I should or should not try this?
I've done 2 different sets. Here's the problem I ran into. The metal in these things is GARBAGE!!. I used a grinder to take the bosses down to level and everyone of them left behind a nice hole. Tried to fill in holes with welds and that didn't work due to the crappy metal. Maybe TIG might work. Glassing is definitely an option and heat shouldn't be too much of an issue. I ended up using some metal filler and it worked pretty good. I ended up taking mine off and replacing with some Nasty Performance billet covers. I still have the set I did so if you're interested in them let me know as you could strip them down and do your own thing. Might be a good idea to glass over my filler if you want.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 06-02-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bryan, what color are they now?
Old 06-02-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

They are silver with red in the inset stripes down the middle. I would suggest stripping them and fiberglassing over the holes if that's what you were planning on doing. My holes bubbled a bit from I guess the heat but no problems leaking or anything like that. Main reason if you wanted these would be to save yourself a lot of time grinding and sanding.

You can see one of the "bubble" on this pic.

Bryan
Old 06-03-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm interested...PM me a price, maybe we can work something out. BTW you have any pics of the nasty performance covers....I've been eyeball'n those for a while now, just a little pricey. And what relocation kit are you using?
Old 07-15-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

GM Performance Parts makes "retro" style valve covers with no coil pack lugs. They make it to use with their LS distributor drive set up.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NassyVette
I'm interested...PM me a price, maybe we can work something out. BTW you have any pics of the nasty performance covers....I've been eyeball'n those for a while now, just a little pricey. And what relocation kit are you using?
I just traded my polished stock valve covers for these billit ones... not sure of the maker.

The ones I just got (still in the mail system)

My stock ones on the car. (Older photos before the turbo install)

I made my own coil relocation kit. ~Joshua

Quick Reply: Anyone shaved their stock valve covers?