Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KATech Tensioner Install. (already posted in conversion page no luck)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KATech Tensioner Install. (already posted in conversion page no luck)

I'm droping an LS1 in my RX-7 and my engine was missing the stock tensioner. I got the KAtech unit in but on a fbody you have to use spacers to put the pulley in the correct alingment. Problem is the bolts on the water pump to mount the tensioner are to short to accomodate the spacers. Anyone else run into this and what bolts did you use?
Old 06-07-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

hey man, i actually just installed the Katech on my 02 SS today, I used the provided spacers and all...the bolts were plenty long....fully tightened, i have about 1/4 of an inch of bolt sticking through the other side of the holes....
you sure the bolts you have are stockers???
I dont see why they wouldnt be long enough....
let us know!
Old 06-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Teching In

They must not be the tensioner was missing from the motor but there were two bolts in thier spot. Must be some random bolts someone stuck in there. My bolts are even with the spacers. Do you know the thread size? I"ll just go to lowes and get some grade 8 bolts. As soon as I get the stuff like this worked out in the car and the ecu comes back from tuning it'll be done and ready to take on the road and see what it'll do.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from my post in your other thread...

If your stock tensioner and water pump is from an F-body then the stock bolts are long enough. I just installed one Monday on a stock 99 SS and used the stock bolts. Check to make sure those spacers are turned the right way. There is a smaller concentric circle cut into one side that fits into the tensioner for centering of the spacer. If that was turned backwards it would move the tensioner away from the water pump. I doubt it would be enough to make the bolt too short but it's something worth checking.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Teching In

They're deffienantly not the right bolts, whoever I bought the motor from must of just stuck some random bolts in there. Do you happen to know the size bolt 7/16th 3/8th ??
Old 06-08-2006, 03:03 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PipeJones
They're deffienantly not the right bolts, whoever I bought the motor from must of just stuck some random bolts in there. Do you happen to know the size bolt 7/16th 3/8th ??
They are going to be metric. Just take some of those bolts that will screw in nicely to the hardware store and match up the threads. Measure how long you need them before you go so you can ge the right length.