Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Lid Owners Please Come In.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No foam on my brothers firehawk lid
Old 06-11-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by just1news6
good grief what kind of junkyard is that most cars with those kinds of parts get scrapped up by f-body specialty places or people tht rebuild them or part them privately cool find though
You're 100% correct. I have a relative in the business of buying trashed fbody's at dealer auctions and many times he does not buy a trashed one due to his feeling that there are not enough parts on it to make it worth while. He will still typically know the person who got it and then let's me know and I can go pick it clean at that person's yard. Timing is everything on these though as yards normally pull the good parts out quickly and then crush the rest to conserve space. If I can get there before they start pulling parts off I can get the best deals. I have shown up at yards the day after a car came in and still was already beat to it by someone esle. It's not fair but it's all timing and who you know when dealing with these cars. To give you an example, I have been looking for a NBM SS hood in good condition since I bought my car and still have not been able to locate one even with all the help I get.

The fbody's that are nearly whole my relative buys for his boss who has a small yard then they either part it out on ebay or repair it and sell it on ebay. While I sometimes can get some parts there they normally are not a great deal since it is a business and they need to get their money out of these cars. If you pay 100 for something I may get it for 90. It has helped me get both of my last fbody's though.

My current fbody was a flood vehicle (salvage title) bought at auction for 7500 with my relatives help and his boss completely repaired it for another 2000 so I got an 02 Z28 with 22k miles for 9500 total in November 03. The fbody before that was a recovered theft 94 Z28 that I got for 5000 with a clean title. I drove that car for 3 years and sold it for the same price I paid for it even though I put about 40k miles on it.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

I have an SLP lid and mine doesn't have any foam seal/ring.

And BTW, where do you live? I'm going to that junkyard next.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
I have an SLP lid and mine doesn't have any foam seal/ring.

And BTW, where do you live? I'm going to that junkyard next.
HEHEHE, I live 40 miles north of Philadelphia. That would be quite a haul
Old 06-11-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
HEHEHE, I live 40 miles north of Philadelphia. That would be quite a haul
i'd like to know...that's not unbearably far from me...maybe i'll find the dual/dual that i am looking for

all the junkyards around here have absolutely jack along the lines of late model cars