Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with my exhaust decision

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my exhaust decision

I love the sound of the hooker muffler with LT's and ORY. Right now I have the stock piping and a flowmaster welded in place of the stock muffler. Would it be worth it to buy the whole hooker 3" cat-back for $350 when I could just keep the stock 2.75" piping and buy a $80 hooker muffler? I am just trying to save some money as I am on a budget.

What I would like to do is, Pacesetter Coated LT's, ORY (TSP or Pacesetter), and a hooker muffler welded in place of the flowmaster. Also keeping the stock 2.75" piping. Would this be a choke?

I am only doing bolt on's, it is not like I am doing a heads and cam swap either.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

To-the-top
Old 06-12-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: king of prussia, pa (home) and williamsport, pa (school)

get the catback. its worth it in the long run. i tried bein cheap with my exhaust, and look at me now, i figured out that shorties and some homemade catback isnt gonna work. so what did i do?. ... i bought coated longtubes, ory, and sweet thunders
Old 06-13-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

Well I read in one of the stickies that a 2.75" Single pipe exhaust only flows up to a 310 hp engine with zero loss.

I may as well just buy the whole system. Anyone else have comments?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Yup, may well buy the whole system. Otherwise you're just going to be paying more anyways when it comes time to mate up your aftermarket TSP/Pacesetter ORY to your existing 2.75'' intermediate pipe. You have to pay a shop to weld on a reducer and it therefore becomes a custom point of your exhaust that isn't as easy to work on.

It might not become completely choked up, but 3'' all the way back to the muffler would be better for power than narrowing it down. I've also heard the same thing about 2.75'' only flowing well up to a certain amount of power. For some reason, 3'' seems to work very well for a wide range of power.

If it comes down to it, go for just the muffler. But I think if I had to get under my car to do work on the exhaust or adjust anything, I'd want to know that it was all made to fit together and will work correctly together instead of having something custom fit in. Either way, it's going to sound badass. Mellow, yet still mean, especially at WOT.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for the catback. hooker is dirt cheap anyway. plus 3" will sound a tad better/louder.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 for catback also, i've been told flowmaster is very restrictive on our cars anyway. course you could always go with a resonator instead of a muffler i have SLP's 3" ypipe into their Loudmouth catback, soon i'll have their Long Tubes and a cut out just to scare old people hahaha you can buy the resonator pretty cheap and just have 3" piping put on