Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting harlan shift light

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting harlan shift light

Wasn't sure exactly where to post this since it doesn't concern the wiring itself, but I was wondering how those of you with the harlan light in the small a-pillar a/c vent got it done. I have a 98 t/a and it looks like the only way to pull this off would be to cut away the a/c tubing behind the molding. I tried to tuck it back but there doesn't appear to be enough room. Also, the light itself seems to be slightly smaller than the hole in the pillar once the vent is removed, so how did you stabilize everything?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2003, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Mounting harlan shift light

Pull off the a-pillar, and you can tuck the plastic hose that goes to the small vent, out of the way. You'll have to find a grommet that will fit to make it snug.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I had the pillar off the hose didn't seem to have enough room to tuck away anywhere, it was still poking up about a quarter to half an inch or so. Do you happen to remember the size of the grommet by chance?
Old 03-27-2003, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

Uh....pull as hard as you can on the defroster tubing...it will come out. Get a valve cover grommet from any auto store and eyeball the size you need to fit the size of the light and the size of th hole in the A-piller.
Hope this helps..
Old 03-27-2003, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks much
Old 03-28-2003, 12:59 AM
TECH Resident

I installed mine it the leftmost vent in the middle of my T/A. It looks killer and you can hide it from the dealerships.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:26 AM
Teching In

i am glad this was brought up i have a 98 TA also and i am thinking of where to mount it when i get it and i was looking at that small vent also but i would love to put it in one of the middle vents two questions how did u mount it in there and can u see it at day time?

<small>[ March 28, 2003, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: southern94 ]</small>
Old 03-28-2003, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took off my pillar, then jerked on the vent tube and it came off. I then used a dremel to cut out the fins on the existing vent so the shiftlight would slide into it straight. Then when you put the pillar back on, the shiftlight gets wedged in place. Mine's been in there for about 1.5 years and still holds/looks great.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine is in the a-pillar. I tried the grommet thing but couldn't find one that would fit at the local stores so I did something similar. I used a tube end cover (like the one that covers the back of the shiftlight as it comes from Harlan - one of the rubber boots). I got one of those from Home Depot - same size, then cut the end of off it so it was just a tube - not a cap. Slid it on, then slid the shiftlight in. It fits perfectly, stays tight, but it is still easy enough to pull out to change when I want to without pulling the pillar. I also tried cutting the original vent cover fins out, and didn't like that to much. Eventually I might try it in the center vents, but it looks pretty good now.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:13 PM
Teching In

I tucked the vent downwared and then took a piece of electrical tape, set the shift light on the vent that I tucked and taped it. then replaced the a-piler and it workes fine. yes u can c it in the day time.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got it in and this thing is great. It's bright as all hell so I can imagine it's still easily visible in daylight. Mounted mine in driver's side a-pillar and tapped into the tcs switch for power, grounded it with the bolt near the two screws on the a-pillar, and ran the tach wire through the passanger side grommet behind the pcm. I just cut the little vents out of the a/c vent piece and used that as a grommet to secure the light.