Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****about To Install Lt Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ****about To Install Lt Headers

Okay guys I have a few questions for yall. I am from Oklahoma so I dont have to worry about any kind of inspections. So I was thinking when I do my header install I would get rid of all the egr and air crap and I guess my main question is since I dont have inspections could I also put race LT's on and just totally get rid of the 02 sensors all together. Or will it make my car run bad. I already know it will throw a ses code but I am not to worried about that. Basically do I have to have 02 sensors to run right? And is there a certain year of header I could use that is set up with no 02 sensor holes.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

you HAVE to run O2 sensors in a fuel injected car. When installing your headers you have to use the front O2's but not the back ones.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Launching!

I just need 02 extensions for that right. And Do race style headers have the place for the front 02 sensors and not the back.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

you need extensions for the front and 02 sims for the back, the race style headers just dont have the provisions for AIR and EGR.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

The rear O2's are connected to the Y-pipe's cats (if they exist). You can just tune the SES code it throws out if you get an off-road Y-pipe or a high-flow catted Y. The alternative is the sims, but if you're going to change your air to fuel ratios with better flow, you'll eventually want a tune anyway.

The car wont throw the code right away. Took mine about 70 miles give or take. So the shop that installs (if they do) can't do it right after installation.

And when you do get headers, they will probably come with some crappy O2 extensions that you have to solder and crimp. Just do yourself a favor and buy the extensions from LS1speed that plug right in, or any other sponsor here that carries them.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Launching!

so what do you do if you dont use the sims in the back and you dont use cats
Old 06-18-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rippenhard
so what do you do if you dont use the sims in the back and you dont use cats
Stare at a SES light on your dashboard until it's tuned out ; )

It wont affect the performance of the car.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by farnoush
you HAVE to run O2 sensors in a fuel injected car. When installing your headers you have to use the front O2's but not the back ones.
No you don't, ever heard of an open loop tune?
Old 06-18-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by farnoush
you need extensions for the front and 02 sims for the back, the race style headers just dont have the provisions for AIR and EGR.
Edelbrock Race Headers have air and egr fittings..they are the only company that does I believe...thats what the tech there told me cause I asked.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

What Do You Do With The Air Lines If You Have Offroad Headers Without The Fittings And Car Is Surgeing At Idle,what Can It Be.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

hey rippenhard good to see a fellow member from oklahoma. I just put some Pacesetter LT's and the ORY on my car. i bought the "race" version they where one of the easiest header installs I have done. I also put in some poly motor mounts at the same time. which I would recommend as it looks like it would be hell with the exhaust on. it was a straight forward install just put in some TR55 while all the exhaust is off swap motor mounts slip LT's up in use your original or new stock metal gaskets. I just left my rear O2's unplugged car runs great and that little SES light didn't bother me during the time it was on until I tuned it out. If you have any ?s about how the fitment is I'm up at thunder valley all the time and when your back you can look in/under my car all you want.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:05 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stillremains
No you don't, ever heard of an open loop tune?
This guy runs open loop..........

You'll need 2 24" extensions, use stock gaskets or get new ones from GM, stock bolts with anti-sieze, race headers, and have the AIR/EGR/Rear O2 codes tuned out all at the same time. As stated before, the car will run fine without the tune out job, but you'll have a light to look at.

I also recommend the poly-motor mounts, but don't like the idea of installing new sparkplugs THEN headers. I'd wait untill it was buttoned up to put the plugs in. They like to crack and cause shitty idles pretty often.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lt1formula2000
hey rippenhard good to see a fellow member from oklahoma. I just put some Pacesetter LT's and the ORY on my car. i bought the "race" version they where one of the easiest header installs I have done. I also put in some poly motor mounts at the same time. which I would recommend as it looks like it would be hell with the exhaust on. it was a straight forward install just put in some TR55 while all the exhaust is off swap motor mounts slip LT's up in use your original or new stock metal gaskets. I just left my rear O2's unplugged car runs great and that little SES light didn't bother me during the time it was on until I tuned it out. If you have any ?s about how the fitment is I'm up at thunder valley all the time and when your back you can look in/under my car all you want.

Sounds good seeing how I am down there almost every friday night and up at 39th street or nw expressway every saturday. We should get everyone together and do a cruise.