Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removeing a.i.r.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Umm... all I was asking about was the AIR system in respect to fuel economy/length of cat life. So let's keep it to that.

So I ask again... how do the life of the cats suffer from no AIR system?

And let's add another question: after the car is warmed up, does the AIR system help any? CMNTMXR57 said that the AIR system reduces emissions. But does it help when the engine is warm? If the AIR system has been on for more than 240 seconds, it shuts off, so it's obviously not running all the time.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 00454sscamaro
how can you say volcano's dont pollute. they make more pollutants in one eruption then all the cars running for a year.even if they are a natural process,
Afraid not, part of the natural life cycle of the planet is NOT polluting. Volcano's are a part of that natural cycle.

its just something to compare to.. so maybe some environmentalist can go try and plug the volcanoes with there heads...
See why I was totally dismayed, yet rather amused

that crap for the most part is going out the exhaust without the egr hooked up, not recycled over and over ..as for what the egr does im just going by what i read, where did you get your information??.. i didn't say mankind didn't have an effect, but i dont think the problem is only or even mostly based with cars. as much as the amount of humans there are. all of us breathing , makes what the gov calls pollutants. - you breathing produces more deadly gases faster then constant ..
Did understand any of that, try arranging things into SENTENCES

and check out a theory? - a theory is only a theory based on an idea not proof... i want proof. sorry
The Global Dimming theory has some substantail proof which would never have been possible with the tragic events of 11/9 (9/11 for you Yanks )

if my grammar disturbs you.
No it just gives a headache to read. Is Englinsh your first langauge? (Seriously)

here in america, were not so ****.. so take your and roll in it.
You say ****? then tell me to roll in a turn. Am I really the one who's having bottom fantasys or is there something you'd like to tell someone.

i'll be sure to give you more of this bad grammar

[QUOTE=00454sscamaro]if its, as you say pumping inert gases into the combustion chamber. wouldnt that diminish reasons for having a 5.7 if i wasn't getting all of my 5.7l of combustion chamber dedicated to making power???[/quote[
At only part throttle you aren't getting the full 5.7 llitres anyhow, not in effective terms. And at WOT EGR doesn't operate.

21 yrs i know not long, but if your going to say that. the 100+yrs cars have been around is nothing, on that subject.

but as for me. until some proof on the whole bad gasses and there negative or even noticible effects can be proven. either way i continue to not like the tree 's
Well not wishing to be rude, but who are you? Well I'll tell you, you are like 99% of all people pretty much a nobody. There's plenty of reading and evidence and debates out there if you care to spend your time on it, however I very much doubt anyone would ever be bother to spend the time to try and convince you or something you evidently have no interest in and behave in a very immature mannor about.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by super_kev
Umm... all I was asking about was the AIR system in respect to fuel economy/length of cat life. So let's keep it to that.

So I ask again... how do the life of the cats suffer from no AIR system?
It has zero affect on life expectancy. Most modern CATS do not use an AIR system because they are efficent enough without it. The AIR system only exists to promote a better chemical reaction when the cats are cold, as far as I am where AIR does not heat them up just promote better performance until the exhaust gas has heated them. The AIR system is used to pass certain startup emissions tests for a produciton engine.

Originally Posted by super_kev
And let's add another question: after the car is warmed up, does the AIR system help any? CMNTMXR57 said that the AIR system reduces emissions. But does it help when the engine is warm? If the AIR system has been on for more than 240 seconds, it shuts off, so it's obviously not running all the time.
Correct after 'x' period of time the AIR system will shut off. Logically thinking adding AIR after Y point in time will have little affect on emisisons. Once the CAT are upto temp and working efficently I doubt extra air would promote a better chemical reaction. I maybe wrong on this one and speaking the a chemistry minded person may be a better bet.

If you want some general info on cats check out Random Technology's website it has loads of usful info. You should be able to find it via Google.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:32 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Logically thinking adding AIR after Y point in time will have little affect on emisisons.
You've never worked in a chemical refinery before have you?

"Dilution is the solution to polution....."

You guys can bitch at each other via PM, and if your trying to out-argue the brit, be prepared to read volumes.