Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uncle!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006 | 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Uncle!!!!

So a friend and I decided to do a header swap based on the fact I didnt make much power with head cam swap. I got mac mids with their catted y.

So upon taking off the jba shorties we saw that the gaskets (felpro) were covering the exhaust port and you can see the burnt material, also the header bolts were coming loose. the old setup came out in a hour or so not too bad. we get the Mac mids and go to slide them in a they get stuck between firewall and block. So the hammer mod came out on the passanger side and the drivers side. we get the new gaskets in (GM stockers) and get all bolts tightened and torqued. plugs and wires back coil pack on driverside back on..

things were smooth. until we went to put the AIR back on. the drivers side was too short cause the air fitting was on the first tube on header instead of second. on the drivers side the air mounting was perpendicular to the block, the jbas were parallel like the stock was. so we added 2 block off plates just for a quick fix. I had to take the car to a shop to get the rest of the catted why installed no biggie there. but on the way down to the shop my steering was kinda kinda locking up or something then would go away. i was like wtf? the shop guy looks at it and sees the lower part of the headers was almost touching the steering shaft. also i have a weak driverside engine mount too.

so i go on a 250 mile trip and i noticed the car sputters when you get on it in 5th or 6th...well i get to the last 5 miles from home and Mr check engine light comes on it threw a PO0300 code (random misfire yada yada) so i cleared the code and got to the house and check all wires etc made sure that back rear plug wire was on and it was. i even checked the header bolts and they were were tight. so i go to start car again and fired up but then started to miss on idle and it went from 980rpm to 480rpm every like 30 seconds. then i noticed when i drove it was bogging down bad. also there was black watery sut on the ground. thats were i am currently. I am so frustrated that a set of headers would cause so much hell ..any suggestions?

later today i am going to check the plugs, i am hoping i didnt lean out a cylinder or do damage from that trip
Old 06-22-2006 | 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

I would try to get a tune. With Heads, Cam, and headers you are looking at a PCM that can't keep up. Get a dyno tune and see if the problem lies within the computer.
Old 06-22-2006 | 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would echo the last comment
Old 06-22-2006 | 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

+1