Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 04-25-2016, 04:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

True Duals, questions answered here. Post YOUR information and pics too!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey sorry to ask, but i am looking for good cats to go on my td with lt pacesetter, and i am thinking about borla xr1 mufflers, anny suggestions on this thank you
-mike
Old 02-21-2007, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

I just got my tsp true dual system installed with bullet mufflers.......and oh my god im in love....sounds so much better then my slp dumped

Last edited by Nasty99SS; 02-21-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

when yall extened the piping to the back, how much dose that alter the sound?
Old 02-21-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nasty99SS
I just got my tsp true dual system installed with bullet mufflers.......and oh my god im in love....sounds so much better then my slp dumped
Dynomax bullets? I'm kinda stuck on which bullets to get.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:11 AM
12 Second Club

yeah I have dynomax bullets and it is loudddd....if you wanna be able to hear when your inside your car you just a different muffler because its real loud inside the car
Old 02-22-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mighty mike
hey sorry to ask, but i am looking for good cats to go on my td with lt pacesetter, and i am thinking about borla xr1 mufflers, anny suggestions on this thank you
-mike

Go for the XR-1's and dont look back man.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Launching!

how many of you guys have lowered cars??? Mine is lowered and I want to do 2.5 duals. The thing that sucks is that the "local" shops All tell me "Your car is not supposed to have duals, its not ment for it. Any ways you already have a high performance exauhst, why would you want to change it." I already bought some dynomax bullets for it. soo I dont know. I've just been stressing about the shops. Cause the only good shops are about an hour to two hours from where I live.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As you go through life you need to be able to recognize when you are speaking with an idiot..you can try and explane things to them and see if they wake up..if they do not then just move on and try to find someone who is willing to do business with you. After all you are the customer..it is the business owners job to try and fulfill your request and earn your business. You may need to make some copies of the many true dual exhaust sysems that have photos posted up on here. A photo is worth a 1000 words..you can then show them that it is possible to configure a true dual system and see if they have the desire and talent to duplicate it.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

i'm lowered, dirty style (eibach saggy springs ftl). i'm going to be installing them tommorw when they get in. right now i can tell you that i cant get a coke can under parts of the car i cant run mine out the back over axle like i was wanting to...going to have to be under axle cuss those bars that center the rear end are to close to each other to allow a tubbing to go threw. BTW i'm doing 2.5 inch tubbing...in my opinion that's hell of a big improvment, dont think you honestly need 3 inch until you make some SERIOUS HP....3 inch just makes it sound alittle nicer...
Old 02-26-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by reject
i'm lowered, dirty style (eibach saggy springs ftl). i'm going to be installing them tommorw when they get in. right now i can tell you that i cant get a coke can under parts of the car i cant run mine out the back over axle like i was wanting to...going to have to be under axle cuss those bars that center the rear end are to close to each other to allow a tubbing to go threw. BTW i'm doing 2.5 inch tubbing...in my opinion that's hell of a big improvment, dont think you honestly need 3 inch until you make some SERIOUS HP....3 inch just makes it sound alittle nicer...

You can run 2 1/2 in over the axle..many have done it..there are lot of photos of cars running that type system..
Old 02-26-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

the rear of my car has saggy springs, not enough room. i ride about an inch away from the bumpstop, i hate it on little bumps all the time i dont have enough room to run it over, but under i do
Old 03-01-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

quick question, are any of you guys worried about having the piping and mufler so close to the fuel line? not worried about getting vapor lock or anything like that having heat radiating for a good amount of length?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure. That's why the fuel lines have to be flipped and when running over the axle on the drivers side use high quality exhaust wrap. So far, no problems with vapor lock or melting of electrical wires and brake lines.

quick question, are any of you guys worried about having the piping and mufler so close to the fuel line? not worried about getting vapor lock or anything like that having heat radiating for a good amount of length?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did wrap the fuel lines along mid section of the chassis with Reflecta-a-Sleeve. I just used one 3 foot section. It connects with velcro and it's lasting very well. The fuel lines are not any problem over the axle area. The issue there is with the connection box where the ABS wires go into the chassis. Also, the rubber brake lines that mount to the front of the differential. This area seperates the men from the boys when doing a custom dual exhaust. There is no margin for error.

That ABS connector (where that wire with the yellow sticker is going to) sticks out about 2.5 inches from the chassis from the factory. That puts it very very close to any pipe over the axle. Below is a picture where that junction connector has been modified to "inset" 1.5 inches farther into the chassis. A custom rubber spacer was inserted inside the car to do this. This is the maximum you can move this connector inwards. Moving it inward any farther causes problems where it will hit the lower portion of the back seat to much.

Below is a front view where you can see how the brake line bracket has been bent inwards and toward the front of the car to give if more distance from the pipe. I will also cover the rubber brake lines with Thermo-Flex Sleeve. These are made out of aluminum, silica, and stainless steel. This and ceramic coating the pipe will be more then enough protection.

Although an old picture (dirty car) this should give you and idea of the path the pipe takes when running over the axle on the left side of the chassis. This particular pipe was ceramic coated inside and out and also wrapped with aThermo-Tec Heat Shield. Because that wrap is fraying and cracking I decided to not use wrapping anymore, just move everything farther away from the pipe (above pictures). If you follow the fuel lines you can barely see where the wrapping of the fuel lines starts with heat sleeve.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

why does everyone say 3" over the axle is impossible!!??

thats what i run and i will be putting on H&R springs and koni's fairly soon b/c i have that much clearance!!!

look a couple pages back geesh. sounds like shops are screwing you guys over b/c they're lazy and dont want to bend pipe or cut and weld
Old 03-16-2007, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

i just got my entire dual setup redone, from the headers back and under the axle out the back. Cost me $500 and it looks and sounds awesome. Under the axle if perfectly fine because even with it under the back part of the exhaust still is not the low point in the exhaust. The front by the X junction and by the header is still the lowest point in the entire exhaust system.

Over the axle is a waste of $$ IMO.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally got some pictures up.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/Therod0120/Mixed004.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...0/Mixed005.jpg

I finally got some pictures up.
nice, what mufflers are you running on your TSP's? 98Camarod
Old 03-18-2007, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know, I told them to send me the loudest ones.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I dont know, I told them to send me the loudest ones.
you got dynomax bullets. any sound clips? i got my TSP TD's w/Dynomax bullets on the way, im too anxious to see what it sounds like.

Quick Reply: True Duals, questions answered here. Post YOUR information and pics too!