Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASP install-can't be right?(PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003 | 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: ASP install-can't be right?(PICS)

[quote
Thanks for the reply, So I wont leak oil from the front seal even thought the balancer isn't up to the seal, or those two have nothing to do with each other?

[/quote]

Did you lubricate the ballancer seal with oil? Hope that you replaced the seal with a new one too.

The seal occurs where the seal contacts the balancer collar. See the old balancer and the mystery will be gone.
Old 05-06-2003 | 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, so now the answer is that I will be leaking oil. I did lube up the inside of the balancer where it slides on the shaft, also oiled the shaft aswell. If the balancer is pressed on anymore (up to the crank shaft) the pulley will no longer line up. Whats up with this? Any help please. Thanks
Old 05-06-2003 | 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

ASP underdrive pullies do not mount totally flush with the front seal/timing cover. They sit about an 1/8 inch or so from it. It won't leak any oil. Mine has been like this for 6 months, and all the others I have seen have never butted up like the stock pulley. If they were completely flush up against the seal the belt wouldn't line up right.
Old 05-06-2003 | 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

ASP underdrive pullies do not mount totally flush with the front seal/timing cover. They sit about an 1/8 inch or so from it. It won't leak any oil. Mine has been like this for 6 months, and all the others I have seen have never butted up like the stock pulley. If they were completely flush up against the seal the belt wouldn't line up right.
THANK YOU, so it looks like im in buisness again
Old 05-07-2003 | 10:04 AM
Teching In

You should be fine...I got mine snugged up quite a bit more than that pic there. I'd say it's about an 1/8 inch away from the cover. Ran it pretty good yesterday, all seems ok....save for this humid weather.
Old 05-07-2003 | 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What are you guys using to lubricate the pulley onto the crank snout? Motor oil, lithium grease, WD40?

Lastly, is Lock-tite a requirement for the crank bolt? I was told that with a torque spec as high as 240 ft/lbs, it shouldn't be required.
Old 05-07-2003 | 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks everyone for all the help, I feel pretty confident that everything will be ok, What i used to lube it up , was mobil 1 10w/30, and some lucus oil additive, also used lucus for my cam install.
Old 05-08-2003 | 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt....what is used to lubricate the crank pulley and is Loc-tite required for the crank bolt?
Old 05-08-2003 | 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

ttt....what is used to lubricate the crank pulley and is Loc-tite required for the crank bolt?
Clean motor oil.

*Never* use locktite on the crank bolt.
Old 05-09-2003 | 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For what its worth. I installed my ASP pulley today and had none of the problems that mattbta had. Here is a picture of my ASP pulley on my crank snout. Its hard to judge distance in this picture, but I would agree with the other estimates that it sits about 1/8" off the timing cover.

Old 05-10-2003 | 10:15 AM
Teching In

Replied to ya in your other post. I'll try and snap a pic tomorrow to compare.
Old 05-10-2003 | 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I't looks OK to me.