Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I gunna hate gutting cats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I could give 2 farts in a hurricane about loudness.

No cats and a loudmouth is going to be splatty/raspy and sound like a '77 3/4 ton 4x4 with glass packs on it.

Only you can decide if you're going to like how your car sounds. Some people actually like ORY/LM setups, while most think it sounds like rolling death.
Everybody who has heard it so far is all . Also, I got it HP tuned and it sounds like there is a cam in the car. Oh yea and the supercharger wine at idle is sweet!
Old 06-30-2006, 12:54 AM
Banned

I could give 2 farts in a hurricane about loudness.

No cats and a loudmouth is going to be splatty/raspy and sound like a '77 3/4 ton 4x4 with glass packs on it.

Only you can decide if you're going to like how your car sounds. Some people actually like ORY/LM setups, while most think it sounds like rolling death.
Yea but dont you like a nice loud , clean exhaust ?? I mean driving down the road ,you want to hear your car.. when my cutout is closed. i cant hear **** but me shifting. i cant figure out why my car is so damn quiet. maybe its the hundreds of dollars in Dynamat i put on, or its just that magnaflows are quiet. i dont know..
Old 06-30-2006, 08:49 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lethal_Ws6
Yea but dont you like a nice loud , clean exhaust ?? I mean driving down the road ,you want to hear your car.. when my cutout is closed. i cant hear **** but me shifting. i cant figure out why my car is so damn quiet. maybe its the hundreds of dollars in Dynamat i put on, or its just that magnaflows are quiet. i dont know..
Having a sleeper is what interests me the most lol. I like messing with the arrogant punks with the Mustang GT's. I try to leave their head as large as possible untill the last possible moment (right after I nail it).

It's more gratifying to bust someone's *** in something as quiet as a church mouse. I'd rather have someone think it's slow than think it's fast, especially if it's not fast (which it isn't).

My new exhaust setup is 1-7/8" Kooks, 3" to 4" y-pipe, 4" bullet, electric cutout w/ dump, 4" to 3" reducer, then SLP Dual/Dual.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Tech Resident

My new exhaust setup is 1-7/8" Kooks, 3" to 4" y-pipe, 4" bullet, electric cutout w/ dump, 4" to 3" reducer, then SLP Dual/Dual.
that sounds complicated...

FWIW, LS1's are rasp machines. i would never run an ORY on it, all exhausts rasp with an ORY, yes, even the magnaflow. i can't stand the sound with an ORY. it sounds like someone is gargling mouthwash when you rev it. the loudmouth is going to sound even worse. some people like rasp, maybe you do. the point is, most people are going to hate it. our aluminum block needs cats to sound good, i'm sorry. we don't have mustangs. we don't have LT1 iron blocks. our cars are hard to get to sound really good. cats is one of the steps we have to having a car that sounds like love.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that LT1's sound better but that's in part because of a different firing order. I have LT's, ORY, and Magnaflow and it's a LOT louder than stock. Of course my cam helps big time too. I think there are plenty of F-bods (including mine) that sound great w/ an ORY. It lopes hard at idle especially w/ my cutout open and screams "get the hell out of my way" at WOT. My only complaint is that it's a little truckish sounding at part throttle w/ the cutout open but then again I can close that whenever I want and it's back to sounding deep and mean again.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Red99TA
I agree that LT1's sound better but that's in part because of a different firing order. I have LT's, ORY, and Magnaflow and it's a LOT louder than stock. Of course my cam helps big time too. I think there are plenty of F-bods (including mine) that sound great w/ an ORY. It lopes hard at idle especially w/ my cutout open and screams "get the hell out of my way" at WOT. My only complaint is that it's a little truckish sounding at part throttle w/ the cutout open but then again I can close that whenever I want and it's back to sounding deep and mean again.

Your right with LT1's sounding better. My friend has a stock 93Z and has a cutout only and it sounds mean
Old 06-30-2006, 11:54 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
that sounds complicated...

FWIW, LS1's are rasp machines. i would never run an ORY on it, all exhausts rasp with an ORY, yes, even the magnaflow. i can't stand the sound with an ORY. it sounds like someone is gargling mouthwash when you rev it. the loudmouth is going to sound even worse. some people like rasp, maybe you do. the point is, most people are going to hate it. our aluminum block needs cats to sound good, i'm sorry. we don't have mustangs. we don't have LT1 iron blocks. our cars are hard to get to sound really good. cats is one of the steps we have to having a car that sounds like love.
Complicated?

The ORY SLP Dual/Dual setups sound nice. Very quiet with no rasp. The bullet in my I pipe will take care of any rasp that *might* happen. It's main function is to improve the sound quality a bit when the cutout is opened (for performance). I'd love to run cats but with the power I'll be making, it's just not an option.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran LT's and an ORY with a bullet muffler, sounded excellent, except for rasp. Once I installed the turbo after the bullet, it sounded BEAUTIFUL! I am getting rid of my LT's and going back to manifolds. Don't need to draw attention to myself if I don't need to... not here in CA anyway. =)
Old 06-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Tech Resident

Complicated?

The ORY SLP Dual/Dual setups sound nice. Very quiet with no rasp. The bullet in my I pipe will take care of any rasp that *might* happen. It's main function is to improve the sound quality a bit when the cutout is opened (for performance). I'd love to run cats but with the power I'll be making, it's just not an option.
i just meant with all the different tubing. 3" to 4" to reducer etc...sounded funny to explain.