Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: old school?
t/d single chamber flows
29.36%
t/d sweet thunder
17.43%
gmmg
21.10%
magnaflow
8.26%
loundmouth
11.01%
other
12.84%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

old school sound?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimdavis@professiona
I had read earlier where people had commented about why late model V8's don't have the same sound as earlier "old school" engines.

One reason given was the aluminum block. I don't buy that. I have an early style SB Chevy with a Milodon aluminum block and the exhaust still has the "old school" rumble instead of the late model raspy roar.

Another reason given was the firing order. I didn't even know that LS1s had a different firing order than earlier SB Chevys but I am not buying that either. SB Fords have a different firing order than SB Chevys and the earlier models still had the "old school" sound. I had a 1995 Firebird TransAm, which I think had the same firing order as earlier SB Chevys and it didn't have the "old school" sound even after I put a Borla cat-back system on it.

I think it has to be the catalytic converter. That is about the only thing that is different on later engines. But I think it is really a shame the way these late models sound. I have a 2005 Corvette with a Corsa system on it and even though it sounds better than stock, I still don't like it. A late model Mustang sounds better than a stock Corvette. I am amazed that the Corvette engineers couldn't come up with a better sounding stock exhaust.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throw a carbed small block in your F-body and you will get that old-school sound.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very true alot has to do with carbed and fuel injection well maby not a lot but when i changed my L98 to carbed it sounded different then when it had TPI on it, i have a carbed L98 and i have herd many TPI with exhaust that is close to mine and they sound different

Quick Reply: old school sound?