Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise Pollution.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Noise Pollution.

How is it legal that motorcycles can go down the road blaring but cars can't be half as loud without getting tickets? Same thing with coming from the factories. Cars have to have silly low db ratings or else they fail while I think harley's are STILL louder than my car.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bikes its not legal they just get away with it.

I think alot of it has to do with bikes you rarely see or I should say hear at night. Factories can't really help it.

Not like the 95db is low really ... But I know what you mean just one of the unfair parts of life.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a ticket for excessive noise by loud exhaust the other day..

**** em'
Old 07-07-2006, 01:14 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to swerve into their lane and run those pieces of **** over sometimes. Their pipes are pointed straight at the damn window!

Some little fairy on a crotch rocket rolled by me while I was sitting in a turning lane and rev'd to about 29,000rpms the other day. I almost **** my pants.

I almost made a guy wreck a big *** chopper this summer. He pulled up next to me going like 75 down I-10, downshifted, and took off. I dropped her in 3rd, hauled *** up to him, and suprisingly enough he hung next to me (before the cam). This thing was a complete custom, had a huge *** billet looking motor (S&S?). At about 130-140 he hit the rev limiter in top gear, jolted VIOLENTLY and I checked out.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:32 AM
11 Second Club

Bikes are all over the place here north of cincy due to the harley shops. I don't mind them at all. Kinda keeps the cops off my back.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:12 AM
TECH Resident

Come on down to Oklahoma! Home of "every God Damned Red-Neck has to have glass-packs on a POS truck!" We don't have ANY vehicle inspections and as far as tickets go, like I mentioned above, there are some load as vehicles around and I personally don't know anyone in this area that has got a ticket for being to loud. My roomates Mustang has 3" true duels with no cats and it can wake the dead, and he has yet to even be pulled over for it.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanfx
How is it legal that motorcycles can go down the road blaring but cars can't be half as loud without getting tickets? Same thing with coming from the factories. Cars have to have silly low db ratings or else they fail while I think harley's are STILL louder than my car.
Bikes have to conform to different type approval regs than cars.

Silencing them is often harder, and combine that with the fact there are far more cars on the road than bikes, they tend to have less strict noise emissions.

Harley's are different, and they don't have to conform to the same regs as other makes, this is because Harley was struggling against the Japanese bikes and this was one way the Us gov helped them out.

As for cars there are regs but each state generally has their own concerning exhaust noise. If your car isn't really that loud it may be worth researching the law where you live and challenge the ticket. They would then have to 'test' you car and prove it is too loud. Most places will not have the ability to do this.

Just because one cop is in a bad mood and books you for excessive noise, it doesn't mean its actually legal for them to have done it.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:13 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mowing your grass is breaking the dB limit in most areas.

I believe that another reason for motorcycles being so loud is it takes about 10 minutes to swap the pipes on them.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, my brother in Atlanta tried to ask a cop why they weren't ticketing the people running around with the loud stereos or exhausts, especially when they're just cruising a short strip with the sound too loud to hear if someone even honks the horn at them. The cop explained that the local noise ordinance was actually too strict, and the decibel level for an infraction was set too low. They couldn't write one person a ticket without having to write about 70% of people tickets, or else the one ticket they did write would be thrown out as selective enforcement or some form of "profiling."
Old 07-07-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Bikes have to conform to different type approval regs than cars.

Silencing them is often harder, and combine that with the fact there are far more cars on the road than bikes, they tend to have less strict noise emissions.

Harley's are different, and they don't have to conform to the same regs as other makes, this is because Harley was struggling against the Japanese bikes and this was one way the Us gov helped them out.

As for cars there are regs but each state generally has their own concerning exhaust noise. If your car isn't really that loud it may be worth researching the law where you live and challenge the ticket. They would then have to 'test' you car and prove it is too loud. Most places will not have the ability to do this.

Just because one cop is in a bad mood and books you for excessive noise, it doesn't mean its actually legal for them to have done it.

Bikes can and do get tickets for loud exhaust all the time....at least here they do. Sportbikes are easy to slience....have you ever heard one with the stock muffler. They are pretty darn quiet with the stock can. Almost disgustingly so lol! The cops are just picking on modified cars right now for the great source of revenue it provides$$$. I'm sure bikes will have their turn in the spotlight.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just tonight there was a Harley crusing next to me and it was rediculously loud. There just so happened to be IPD in front of me and this dude gets practically next to him and downshfts, stays on it for a few seconds, and gets infront of the cop. Nothing done. I bet if I were running true duals and did that my *** would have been pulled over in a second for the noise.

Quick Reply: Noise Pollution.