Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My thoughts on the FTRA

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lid helps protect against high IATs from underhood. They HAVE done comparisions with the K&N FIPK. The car dynos well with the hood up but with it shut the high undergood temps drive up IAT, kill timing and result in less HP on the dyno.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

So yeah....in my testing I found that the heatsoaking issue really isn't an issue.....
Old 07-30-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I remember years ago there was an argument about this when the FIPK first came out.

FIPK would draw in too much underhood heat, even with the car moving. This wouldn't be the case with a ram air setup, it then becomes a cold air setup.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

having an open element filter im sure would out flow an air lid anyday at any time im sure anywhere but if its inhaling hot under hood air the benefits of all that flow will never be realized.
i have two f-bodies one with fra & lid and another with fipk with a large slot cut out in the sheet metal under the filter.
"ram air" is for the most part a marketing term. im sure the only benefit from a ram air hood is at speed and then for only a fraction of a second and i would have to say that i dont see how its possible that it creates anymore horsepower maybe only a reserve of air built up behind the throttle body blade which would be used up instantly after the TB opened up resulting in possibly quicker throttle respons.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
it's still superior. and show me a road hotter than the inside of an engine bay. that's one hot *** road. lol the "ram air myth" still adds to the efficiency of the engine. it's tested on www.installuniversity.com/ not only did it up the efficieny of their engine 1% (which boosts hp considerably), they got better gas mileage AND ran a better ET. there are numerous posts of praises of the FTRA system everywhere. they have swayed me into purchasing one soon, and you better bet your *** i'll be writing a review.
Here's some reading for ya ... https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/53028-ram-air-myth.html. There's no argument that getting cooler air into the intake helps, but there is simply no pressurizing effect as you referred to. Secondly, you have a Formula. Open your hood and look at how the intake tract is set up. Then close your hood and stick your hands into the inlet slots. You'll see that intake air flows under the hood brace and into the intake opening. There's very little room for underhood air to enter. So it is not simply a choice between underhood air and outside air, but air taken right off the ground and air a little higher above it. Plus the fact that the FTRA blocks flow to the radiator can mean higher ECT's - not a happy thing. The only results I've seen have been maybe 1mph increase in trap speed. So at speed the air getting to the intake is probably a little cooler. Is it worth it for that? Each to his own.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i thought i was on ls1.com for a sec
Old 07-30-2006, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
i thought i was on ls1.com for a sec
I know right...this thread went to

On a more (serious) note, I have had the lid and now I have a FIPK. I wish I kept the lid. The whole myth/tale/theory of the open filter ingesting nothing but hot air is true. My temps went up after I installed the kit (dummy guage, I know, but still) and in hot weather (90% of the time down here) the car feels more sluggish than when I had the lid. Not to mention ram air is gone, I notice that at higher speeds as well (3rd and 4th gear).

As far as the original topic goes, that's good to hear, I might try rigging that up to the FIPK at one point, or if I'm smart I'll just get another lid.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Here's some reading for ya ... https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53028. There's no argument that getting cooler air into the intake helps, but there is simply no pressurizing effect as you referred to. Secondly, you have a Formula. Open your hood and look at how the intake tract is set up. Then close your hood and stick your hands into the inlet slots. You'll see that intake air flows under the hood brace and into the intake opening. There's very little room for underhood air to enter. So it is not simply a choice between underhood air and outside air, but air taken right off the ground and air a little higher above it. Plus the fact that the FTRA blocks flow to the radiator can mean higher ECT's - not a happy thing. The only results I've seen have been maybe 1mph increase in trap speed. So at speed the air getting to the intake is probably a little cooler. Is it worth it for that? Each to his own.
for God's sake...

http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...products_id=28

The Fast Toys ram air system (FTRA) is designed to force cold, high pressure air into your engine to build more horsepower. The system brings in cold fresh air which contains more oxygen than the warmer air the car normally breathes. In addition, this system will achieve a mild pressurizing of the sealed air box at higher speeds and improve volumetric engine efficiency for more power!

that's taken right off of FastToy's website. they clearly state that there is a mild pressurization effect, exactly how i said. now, you realize that they legally cannot lie about this on their product description? if there was no pressurization, they can be sued for mislabeling a product. in other words, a type of fraud.

maybe you should do some research about this subject before you just post random bullshit someone posted in a forum. here's some real testing done on the issue:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

notice that in their testing, not only did air intake temperatures drop significantly, volumetric efficiency increased - just like in the product description! who woulda thunk it?!

nobody ******* cares what the REAL definition of "ram air" is that this guy decided to write about in a useless forum post. the FACT is, the FTRA WORKS and that is all that really matters in the end, isn't it? it's not the true definition to ram air? who gives a ****? how is that relavent at all? the only thing we care about are gains. 0.15 off your ET is 0.15 off your ET no matter how you slice it, whether it's ram air or cold air intake. who gives a ****? IT'S STILL 0.15 OFF YOUR ET. you, sir, are a tool.

somebody close this useless thread. it's only going to get worse.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

So yeah, it was around 90* today and my IAT temps were around 93-95*'s....
Old 07-30-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

for God's sake...

http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...products_id=28

The Fast Toys ram air system (FTRA) is designed to force cold, high pressure air into your engine to build more horsepower. The system brings in cold fresh air which contains more oxygen than the warmer air the car normally breathes. In addition, this system will achieve a mild pressurizing of the sealed air box at higher speeds and improve volumetric engine efficiency for more power!

that's taken right off of FastToy's website. they clearly state that there is a mild pressurization effect, exactly how i said. now, you realize that they legally cannot lie about this on their product description? if there was no pressurization, they can be sued for mislabeling a product. in other words, a type of fraud.

maybe you should do some research about this subject before you just post random bullshit someone posted in a forum. here's some real testing done on the issue:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

notice that in their testing, not only did air intake temperatures drop significantly, volumetric efficiency increased - just like in the product description! who woulda thunk it?!

nobody ******* cares what the REAL definition of "ram air" is that this guy decided to write about in a useless forum post. the FACT is, the FTRA WORKS and that is all that really matters in the end, isn't it? it's not the true definition to ram air? who gives a ****? how is that relavent at all? the only thing we care about are gains. 0.15 off your ET is 0.15 off your ET no matter how you slice it, whether it's ram air or cold air intake. who gives a ****? IT'S STILL 0.15 OFF YOUR ET. you, sir, are a tool.

somebody close this useless thread. it's only going to get worse.
I remember someone doing a test once and they actually had like 2 or 3 extra PSI in their intake with that Big Gulp one (which is probably slightly better than FTRA but it's the same deal).
Old 07-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Tech Resident

hmm...i sounded quite mean in that post. yea...excuse my anger on that one...high blood pressure i guess?
Old 07-30-2006, 10:37 PM
12 Second Club

Where did Andros drive off to? Is he playing connect the cones in a parking lot again???
Old 07-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Tech Resident

he's drawing more pictures in paint to prove a point. i guess MS paint pictures are considered scientific facts today

Old 07-30-2006, 10:47 PM
12 Second Club

Well duh! Blue arrows CLEARLY explain air flow dynamics, pressurization, etc.

God, how retarded are you?
Old 07-30-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

geez tony go easy on the guy

i talked to a fellow once who installed it on his own car and saw huge gains. i also heard once that lids flow better then the open element air filters cause of the linear direction the air takes flows better then the open air filter which creates a sort of traffic jam if you will before it all organizes itself into the TB. but what do i know, the only turn i take is into the return road
Old 07-30-2006, 11:42 PM
Launching!

Screw y'all...I have a leaf blower motor hooked up as MY intake. You wanna talk about FLOW? I got it all going on!
Old 07-30-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by waveoff
Screw y'all...I have a leaf blower motor hooked up as MY intake. You wanna talk about FLOW? I got it all going on!
Like this?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...010937/c-10114
Old 07-31-2006, 01:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Andros
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l5...t=MOV03794.flv

This is my type of track. it doesnt go str8, c how i turn my car.
Racing around a parking lot is gay, real men run on road coarses.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Exactly...

I didn't know JC Whitney was selling those things...and in different colors too...lol! I had only ever seen them on eBay.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:00 AM
That's what she said...

he's drawing more pictures in paint to prove a point. i guess MS paint pictures are considered scientific facts today

Better shut it down before he gets a chance!

This thread did go to crizzap, it was fun though. Lots of laughs and pwn3dedness.