Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why should I buy Kooks over Paceseter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why should I buy Kooks over Paceseter?

If money wasn't a factor.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So you could brag that you have more expensive headers?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

i agree.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Yes. You get what you pay for, and the Kooks are a whole lot better made than pacesetters. they are stainless steel so won't ever rust. I've seen alot of pacesetters eat through thier ceramic and rust out.

Also Kooks design is superior, pacesetters just look thrown together. When i get headers I'm planning on going kooks or QTP. Both are great.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:03 AM

Fit, Kooks slide right up into place without cutting anything. Stainless steel, Better than coated.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:08 AM
10 Second Club

I don't think that many people would spend good money for a header that's no better than a much cheaper brand, at least I would hope not. I think I've owned 4 different brands of headers and my Kooks is the best quality and fitting made ones i've owned. Your simply going to pay more for stainless. Nothing wrong with Pacesetters if you want to save some money and they work fine, but they are not equal to kooks headers in any way as far as quality, fitment and design "in my opinion".

Dan
Old 08-18-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

But just as you hear about fitment issues with Pacesetters, you also hear the same about Kooks from time to time. They are undoubtedly better constructed, but it may not be worth it to you. I personally could care less what my headers look like as long as they work, so I went with the Edelbrock's. Yea, they're already corroding, but I really could care less. They're not leaking - I'm happy. I could have paid about $400 more for Kooks but I spend most of my time driving my car, not sitting somewhere with the hood open asking people to see how good my headers look.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really think the only viable difference in the two is quality of material. If you only drive your car in nice weather like me, there's really no reason for stainless headers. My pacesetters still look brand new. If you drive in rain/snow etc, steel headers will eventually rust and need replaced, even if coated. I don't think fitment is an issue, every set of pacesetters I've installed fit so well I had to use a bungee cord to keep them from falling out the bottom of the car until I could get bolts started. Kooks/QTP's may give you 5-10 rwhp over pacesetters/edelbrocks, but is that worth an extra $400? Not to me. So my conclusion is if you drive in not-so-perfect weather, stainless is probably a good idea. Otherwise it's $400 I'd spend on other mods. My $.02.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
I really think the only viable difference in the two is quality of material. If you only drive your car in nice weather like me, there's really no reason for stainless headers. My pacesetters still look brand new. If you drive in rain/snow etc, steel headers will eventually rust and need replaced, even if coated. I don't think fitment is an issue, every set of pacesetters I've installed fit so well I had to use a bungee cord to keep them from falling out the bottom of the car until I could get bolts started. Kooks/QTP's may give you 5-10 rwhp over pacesetters/edelbrocks, but is that worth an extra $400? Not to me. So my conclusion is if you drive in not-so-perfect weather, stainless is probably a good idea. Otherwise it's $400 I'd spend on other mods. My $.02.

It's also progressive HP. a better flowing, better designed header is going to give you a better platform for more mods in the future. I don't think i have pics saved, but the collector on Kooks looks great, it's smooth and tuned for the flow of the exhaust. Pacesetter's collector is just welded on there, 4-pipes into one, rough and flows crappy.

It's like buying a cheap flowmaster catback because Id rather spend the money elsewhere when you know if you put a little money into it you'll get more bang. When are you going to put good parts in? I'd rather have quality of mods over quantity.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

I can see what you're saying, but I think it's a bit different with headers. There are two types of people who buy headers: those that want performance increase, and those that want performance along with looks. I don't believe many people buy Kooks because they want to spend $400 extra to squeeze 5 more hp out of the car, they buy them because they are very high quality material (and the 5 extra hp sounds good as well). I'm type of person that believes in function over form. I could care less what it looks like (within reason, I don't want a piece of rust coming out of the engine) if it does the job well and doesn't cost an insane amount. Pacesetters get the job done well and look good to boot. The coating may not last as long as SS but if maintained well enough can look good and hold up for a very long time (a longer time than a lot of people would keep the same set of headers). It's just personal opinion. It's like the difference between a LS6 intake and a FAST on a stock motor. Yes, the FAST is higher quality, but is the higher price worth the justification of the few extra hp when the LS6 can do a very good job for a much lower price? It's all relative and it's all opinion, which is the reason none of these types of questions can ever really be answered except by the person who is buying them based on what their goals are for their car. Different strokes.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
But just as you hear about fitment issues with Pacesetters, you also hear the same about Kooks from time to time. They are undoubtedly better constructed, but it may not be worth it to you. I personally could care less what my headers look like as long as they work, so I went with the Edelbrock's. Yea, they're already corroding, but I really could care less. They're not leaking - I'm happy. I could have paid about $400 more for Kooks but I spend most of my time driving my car, not sitting somewhere with the hood open asking people to see how good my headers look.

Exactly. My opinion on it is, if you live in a area with rough winters or salt water bodies around you, then stainless is the way to go. Otherwise if you got the extra cash to blow go ahead. IMO they are NOT worth the extra unless your conditions require them. The main increase in price, weather anyone wants to admit it or not, is the material & name.

Some get so caught up in the name they refuse to let down & only promote that brand. I couldn't have been happier with the fitment of my Pacesetters. Obvisously the are not "just thrown together" as stupidly stated above. If they were they wouldn't fit like a glove. I know fitment & quality can be hit or miss with any company, so don't go tryin to imply I said something I didn't.

I just get so tired of people only tryin to get others to buy the most expensive parts on the market. Not everyone is made of money & guess what?? Pacesetter learned this & offers a very good product for a very reasonable price. Guess thats why tons of people run them. Point is for the money Pacesetter can't be beat.

Now if money isn't a issue like in the original post, get whatever brand you feel comfortable with.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

Kooks Hands Down
Old 08-18-2006, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Obvisously the are not "just thrown together" as stupidly stated above.

Don't get upset because I said something bad about something that you bought. Pacesetters have thier place. And I've never put down someone who bought them, to each his own. I've always been of the opinon to buy the best you can. Even if that means putting off modding your car till you can afford something a little better.

Also, the original poster said if money wasn't a factor. So if money wasn't a factor, i would by Kooks hands down. And I don't think many people would say otherwise.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

Appearantly you didn't read my whole post. You fall into the catagory I was tlakin about.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Now if money isn't a issue like in the original post, get whatever brand you feel comfortable with.
Money is a factor for me. I just might have to save longer if I decide to go with Kooks or QTP. I do live in a climate that isn't sunny year round so there is a chance it will get driven when there is salt on the roads (from the snow plows). Thanks for all the help keep it coming.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

I think the question should be, what is your application for these headers?

If your car is just a daily driver you enjoy tooling around in, then go with whats cheaper. You would be gettin the kooks, just to say you have kooks. Now I'm not saying to buy something if the quality isn't there, but the pacesetters will hold their own. Unless you're dumping salt on your headers, the pacesetters won't corrode overnight.

If you're turning your car into a drag monster, then spend all the money you want to eek out as many tenths of a second you can. The guy with the most money usually wins....
Old 08-18-2006, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Kooks
Old 08-18-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

If you read the stickies LT's are LT's you are basically paying for the stainless steel so it wont rust. Their is no performance difference between the two
Old 08-18-2006, 01:56 PM
9 Second Club

people say that are fitment issues with pacesetters? no way i just installed mine and they slid right up in there on both sides! no fitment issue!
Old 08-18-2006, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

It's hit or miss with any car with any header on fitment issues. Kooks is offered in mild steel as well. Like stated, headers should be application dependent. Do you need stepped headers? do you need 1 7/8 headers or bigger? Most don't but some do and these options aren't available by everybody. You are not just paying for stainless, but of course it adds to it. If you ever held a kooks and a pacesetter in your hands at the same time, you will see why one would cost more than the other. Like you said Different strokes. BTW, if mine was a DD, I too would of probably went with pacesetters or edelbrock's or similar, I am definately not knocking anybody else's headers here having already owned most of them .