Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACDelco Iridium Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

.060.........nuff sed........champion IR.......8$ a pop

Last edited by sjsingle1; 05-17-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
DO NOT LET THE PLIERS OR GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN.

WARNING: Failure to follow these directions may permanently damage the spark plug. Note: Never use a round gapping tool to check the gap or to increase or decrease the gap setting.
I'm guessing what I have is a "round gapping tool." It's a disk that's thin on one part and gradually gets thicker as you go around the disk. How sensitive is this iridium plug? I got NGK TR55IX (stock 7164) that I'm gonna put in with my headers. Is it like, "Oops you touched it, game over!" or what? Can someone show me a pic of the tool you're supposed to use?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

bump...what kind of gapping tool would you use for Iridium? Doesn't sound like the disc one is good for it.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyberkill
bump...what kind of gapping tool would you use for Iridium? Doesn't sound like the disc one is good for it.
I'm a dealer tech.

These plugs are PRE-GAPPED and SHOULD NOT BE ADJUSTED. Use a PLASTIC FEELER GAUGE to check gap on these, and be extremely gentle, working UPWARD in sizes until you get close. If you force ANYTHING - even the plastic feeler - tightly against the iridium tip - toss the plug in the trash. You will damage it, if not strip the iridium off the tip altogether. If I can fit a .038 (.965mm) feeler in there comfortably, that's close enough for me. Use your eyeballs, you'll see the gap with the feeler in place - no need to bounce that sucker off the iridium tip to confirm. Stay tight on the ground strap so you avoid the iridium tip. If it's too sloppy, exchange it for another plug. If the plug is NOT gapped properly (ALWAYS CHECK!!!) right out of the box, don't use it.

When I go to get my plugs, whether it be at NAPA for my own car or at the parts dept. for a customer car, I ask them to bring me like 12 plugs instead of just 8, and I check them at the counter to ensure I'm putting a complete, known good set of 8 plugs - with proper gap - in the car.

[edit]

TIP: Try to get plugs from different boxes. When you're installing your plugs, mark the location where the ground strap meets the body. Try to install the plugs in different bores, aiming to have the ground strap mark location pointing towards the bottom of the car. By getting plugs from different boxes, you're hoping to get plugs cut during different manufacturing batches, which means there's a little variation in the threads cut onto the plug. By varying which hole you put the plugs in until you get it lined up pointing down, you're doing a "poor man's plug indexing". If you're within about 20 degrees of pointing downward, you're good. No need to go nuts getting the plugs to ALL point PERFECTLY downward. Just get them close.

Now, this might seem like unnecessary extra work on an engine that's already a pain to change plugs on, but it will provide an extra 1-2% increase in horsepower. Don't think that's much? On even just a 300-hp, engine, that's 3-6 more horsepower, which can make ALL the difference when racing the guy next to you at the drag strip on Friday night. And for the price of gas, I want every bit of power I can get.

Those are the little things that separate the good cars from the great ones. It also brought tons of customers back to the dealer, and they specifically request ME when they come in for service.
[/edit]

-R

Last edited by Bluestreak; 05-04-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Rockstar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to gap mine, and a couple of the tiny tips broke off. Is this something to be concerned about?
I got a full set for 20 bucks from O reilley's btw.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
I had to gap mine, and a couple of the tiny tips broke off. Is this something to be concerned about?
Yes. You ruined those plugs. And that price sounds suspiciously cheap for this type of plug. I'm used to seeing one plug run around $7-$10 depending on brand.

Most people do not know how to properly gap a spark plug, and the center electrodes on the ultra-fine iridium very easily snap if mishandled. There is no warranty for snapped center electrodes. The manufacturers state that an iridium spark plug runs much better than a traditional plug, even if it is not gapped for that motor - they would prefer you just leave it rather than risk snapping the center electrode.

Personally, I gap my iridium plugs for my car, but I am a professional. If you insist on gapping your iridium plug, either have a proper professional show you how or have it done.

-R
Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Rockstar

Yeah, at the time I didn't think they were anything special. I had just told the dude stock plugs for an 09 vette, and he brought out some AC Delco's. I found this thread after the fact. So the tip is their functioning point, how will it run if it's broken off or bent? Is it best to run a full set or is ok to just throw in a cheap plug where the broke tipped ones were?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah, at the time I didn't think they were anything special. I had just told the dude stock plugs for an 09 vette, and he brought out some AC Delco's.
If they're true AC Delco 41-985's and you paid $20, you got a good deal. I'm just not used to seeing them that cheap. Around here, when NAPA has them on sale, they run about $6.50 each. They ARE the correct plug to run. As a dealer tech, I am a big believer in OEM. It's rare when a car owner knows more about engine design and secondary ignition system design than the engineer who designed the engine at GM, so it's best to use OEM plugs IMO. My car makes 441-hp on good old stock AC Delco's. The spark plug TSB is here.

I found this thread after the fact. So the tip is their functioning point, how will it run if it's broken off or bent? Is it best to run a full set or is ok to just throw in a cheap plug where the broke tipped ones were?
I don't know the effect of a broken tip. I've never installed a defective plug. On my own car? I'd probably just replace the ones I knew to have broken tips - if the other plugs made it in there okay, as long as they haven't been in there too long, just leave them. On a customer car sitting in my bay? I'd replace all eight just to be safe.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do NOT try using a round gapping tool disc on iridium plugs! You will dislodge the tip!
Old 05-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Rockstar

^^^That's exactly what I did.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Acdelco iridiums come pregapped at .040 and will run just fine I am. Bolt on only and it runs great. , I got Ngktr5ix plugs. That came gapped at like .030 so my buddy tried to gap them and ruined them and they all started to crack. And back fire. And miss. It was bad. Ended up ruining my injectors. 800 later my car was running good again.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Just get the ngk tr55 iridium ix... they are pre gapped at .058 and you dont have to dick with them. I got mine from rock auto and they were around 60.00... Gm "says" you can run a .040 gap with iridium plugs, but obviously the widest gap you can go without spark blowout will yeild the best fuel mileage and efficiency!! oh and I call bs on anybody paying less than 50.00 for a set of (8) iridium plugs unless you had a coupon or something... ngk ir's run between 50-60.00, ac-delco ir's run around 70.00 and those high dollar junk denso's normally run 80.00+...
Old 05-06-2011, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't pre-gap plugs more than .045 - remember that as time goes on, plug wear will widen the gap. If the gap is too wide, it removes much of the ignition system's ability to adjust itself as parts wear down with mileage. It also creates high resistance in the secondary circuit even with a healthy ignition system. This requires higher secondary voltages to overcome, which stresses the entire secondary system. It definitely contributes to premature wear of ignition system components.

Plug gap might seem like a small thing you can tweak to your taste, but if your car is more street than strip... gap is more critical, because you're not inside that engine playing with new plugs or re-gapping them all the time. I'm betting most guys with their street cars set the gap wide and forget it for 20k+ miles. I know... those plugs are holy hell to change, so once they're refreshed with new plugs, that's all we wanna hear for a long time. Make the gaps too wide and you'll wonder why coil packs fail, plugs/plug wires have carbon tracks from those super-high voltages trying to escape to ground... it's not good stuff for your engine.

Gap is just another one of those simple little things that contribute to an overall better car. If you're just driving it 1,320' at a time, gap those suckers wide as you feel like and run that car like a rockstar on a rampage.

I just paid $51 at NAPA for a set of (8) 41-110 AC Delco w/my discount this afternoon. They were all gapped at .040, perfectly... no need to adjust at all.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestreak
I wouldn't pre-gap plugs more than .045 - remember that as time goes on, plug wear will widen the gap. If the gap is too wide, it removes much of the ignition system's ability to adjust itself as parts wear down with mileage. It also creates high resistance in the secondary circuit even with a healthy ignition system. This requires higher secondary voltages to overcome, which stresses the entire secondary system. It definitely contributes to premature wear of ignition system components.

Plug gap might seem like a small thing you can tweak to your taste, but if your car is more street than strip... gap is more critical, because you're not inside that engine playing with new plugs or re-gapping them all the time. I'm betting most guys with their street cars set the gap wide and forget it for 20k+ miles. I know... those plugs are holy hell to change, so once they're refreshed with new plugs, that's all we wanna hear for a long time. Make the gaps too wide and you'll wonder why coil packs fail, plugs/plug wires have carbon tracks from those super-high voltages trying to escape to ground... it's not good stuff for your engine.

Gap is just another one of those simple little things that contribute to an overall better car. If you're just driving it 1,320' at a time, gap those suckers wide as you feel like and run that car like a rockstar on a rampage.

I just paid $51 at NAPA for a set of (8) 41-110 AC Delco w/my discount this afternoon. They were all gapped at .040, perfectly... no need to adjust at all.
tr55 ix's come pregapped at .058, tr5 are .040... and this isnt 1980 lol the ls1 ignition system can handle a .060 gap easily, wich is why they specd that in the first place. Second the gap is never going to open up more than .005 over a 100k mi lol. plug gap has nothing to do with coil packs failing lmao... the spark will blow out if the gap is too wide. only thing that will short to ground is a bad plug wire. All a .040 gap is doing is costing you fuel mileage from a .060 gap... there is no performance difference.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:54 AM
Staging Lane

Default Price of plug$

You guys ever heard of EBAY?

Quick Reply: ACDelco Iridium Spark Plugs